Best way to clean a helmet!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oscarplu

Über Member
Im pretty new to helmet wearing, and it gets pretty sweaty under there at times!! Just wondered if anyone has any tips for keeping the inside clean and free from sweat!!! So far ive been using a fast evapourating anti bacterial hand gel , (like the ones they use in hospitals), as it dries fast. Someone told me to put it in the dishwasher, buti dont think that would be a good idea!!!! Any suggestions?????:angry::biggrin:

Bigtwin

Take the pads/frame thing out and wash that is some soapy water, and give the shell the same treatment, but don't soak it.

Or pay a load of silly money for some of that spray helmet cleaner that doesn't work.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chuck the helmet on the shower/bath floor when you 'shower'. Works fine. Do this a couple of times a week in hot weather. Maybe once every two weeks in cooler weather.

OP
OP
oscarplu

oscarplu

Über Member
fossyant said:
Chuck the helmet on the shower/bath floor when you 'shower'. Works fine. Do this a couple of times a week in hot weather. Maybe once every two weeks in cooler weather.
Did wonder about this, just worried incase it soaked up too much water!!! Il give it a try though,

oscarplu said:
Yes, and seems to get a white coating!!!! Salty maybe!!!!!

In that case, I'd follow Fossy's recommendation, who washes his helmet in the shower.

Personally I prefer the au naturelle nature of allowing the rain to wash mine clean.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
oscarplu said:
Cheers fossy, ive just had a shower with my helmet, and it came out like new!!!

My helmet has developed a big crack in the front of it
If i shower with my helmet, will it come out like new and the crack be gone?

Bigtwin

Joe24 said:
My helmet has developed a big crack in the front of it
If i shower with my helmet, will it come out like new and the crack be gone?

Highly unlikely. If you headgear has developed a structural fault that compromises it's design integrity, even an apparently aesthetically satisfying solution is likely to leave the fundamental strength diminished beyond safe limits.

Hold on... your supposed to wash your (cycle) helmet?! Umm, err, I might not have done that in the 4 years I've had it.....;)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Bigtwin said:
Highly unlikely. If you headgear has developed a structural fault that compromises it's design integrity, even an apparently aesthetically satisfying solution is likely to leave the fundamental strength diminished beyond safe limits.

Its a proper crack, goes down the front, and all the way through the foam pretty much.
Its on the bit at the front that goes around, by the air vent.
No idea how it got there
Should probably get a new helmet:wacko:

Top Bottom