Best way to increase fitness and stamina for women

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Don't bother with the protein shake,a balanced diet will be enough research has shown milk is as good unless you are t the top of your game
High cadence building on speed and distance,too higher gears your muscles will get to big,not the best look if you want to develop your shape,Pilates is great I have done it builds you core strength !diet seems ok,Remember your rest days as your body needs to repair,and ensure any riding pain you review bike set up as mileage increases,
Good luck stick with it ,remember if you have a bad weigh in muscle weighs more than fat and you will develop lean muscle

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Don't bother with the protein shake,a balanced diet will be enough research has shown milk is as good unless you are t the top of your game
High cadence building on speed and distance,too higher gears your muscles will get to big,not the best look if you want to develop your shape,Pilates is great I have done it builds you core strength !diet seems ok,Remember your rest days as your body needs to repair,and ensure any riding pain you review bike set up as mileage increases,
Good luck stick with it ,remember if you have a bad weigh in muscle weighs more than fat and you will develop lean muscle
Italicised: What?

Bolded bit: 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle.

compo

Veteran

Undeniably 1lb of anything will weigh the same as 1lb of anything else. However if you had a cube of pure fat and an identical cube of pure muscle would they weigh the same or would the muscle be heavier ? Any butchers in the house?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Undeniably 1lb of anything will weigh the same as 1lb of anything else. However if you had a cube of pure fat and an identical cube of pure muscle would they weigh the same or would the muscle be heavier ? Any butchers in the house?
The cube of muscle is heavier,not by weight but by volume

The density of mammalian skeletal muscle tissue is about 1.06 kg/liter.[7] This can be contrasted with the density of adipose tissue (fat), which is 0.9196 kg/liter.[8] This makes muscle tissue approximately 15% denser than fat tissue.

surely 1lb of feathers is lighter..?? ;)
Quiet you :smile:

Berties

Fast and careful!

when i lost muscles in my legs from hard long training running ,i rebuilt them by,low cadence high gearing,building the muscles back slowly,now i am trimming them of fat by higher cadence riding ,which a lady i ride with has also done so she does not over develop her leg groups,you don't see many pro riders with big legs!!
the over high lighted area is just you picking holes, most readers will understand the meaning,as you build up in muscle it will give you weight differences,so not to panic the op,but her shape will change.
I base my views on experiences in the sports industry ,not every one is the same the amount of effort applied,motivation is varied,the types of riding and ability is also a large factor,

T.M.H.N.E.T

when i lost muscles in my legs from hard long training running ,i rebuilt them by,low cadence high gearing,building the muscles back slowly,now i am trimming them of fat by higher cadence riding ,which a lady i ride with has also done so she does not over develop her leg groups,you don't see many pro riders with big legs!!
the over high lighted area is just you picking holes, most readers will understand the meaning,as you build up in muscle it will give you weight differences,so not to panic the op,but her shape will change.
I base my views on experiences in the sports industry ,not every one is the same the amount of effort applied,motivation is varied,the types of riding and ability is also a large factor,
Being factually correct when giving any advice in health/weight/weightloss and diet threads is pretty important due to the destruction that misinformation can cause.

The very least forums can do for people seeking help and advice - is give them the correct help and advice. fat vs muscle is minor - but when you preach it like gospel it wouldn't hurt to understand basic physics.

Berties

Fast and careful!
having trained woman for various events, and lead cycle routes for ladies, and not wanting to over complicate replies,the advice you get on a forum is just that advice,not gospel ,unless you have a full over view on the situation,what works for one may not work for others,forums allow you to gather information and use the information to make a informed decision ,there is no need to doubt members knowledge,it is a soft skill built of experiences that can't be taught in a classroom,and yes you are right! I dislike physics like a fat kid hates lettuce

T.M.H.N.E.T

having trained woman for various events, and lead cycle routes for ladies, and not wanting to over complicate replies,the advice you get on a forum is just that advice,not gospel ,unless you have a full over view on the situation,what works for one may not work for others,forums allow you to gather information and use the information to make a informed decision ,there is no need to doubt members knowledge,it is a soft skill built of experiences that can't be taught in a classroom,and yes you are right! I dislike physics like a fat kid hates lettuce
So instead of overcomplicating replies you gave wrong information? Yet you train people for events? If I paid you and receive this advice,I'd want my money back!

/
So if I wanted to be leaner as opposed to muscley,what is the best type of cycling to do? I am all boobs and hips but want to build some strength,get pretty fit as I would like to do some long distance type events like London-Southend type of thing.I guess that is where I'm aiming but I'm a bit restricted to training very early mornings due to school hols. I would be interested in your advice re this.

Nosaj

Dis organised mum,

If you want to get leaner then cycle, if you want to build big body builder type muscles then it takes years and years and years of hard work, eating big (think 6000 calories a day) and lifting even bigger. You will not turn into Arnie by getting on your bike as it is predominantly an endurance exercise and will recruit endurance type muscle fibres think lean long muscles as opposed to big bulky muscles.

Your body will change over time but if you only cycle you will never, ever be mistaken for a body builder.

If you want thighs like Chris Hoy, then you will need to be squatting in excess of 200 kg

Berties

Fast and careful!
So instead of overcomplicating replies you gave wrong information? Yet you train people for events? If I paid you and receive this advice,I'd want my money back!

who said any thing about money,you keep your opinions to your self if you can't be positive,I have been positive to the op and yet a keyboard warrior wants to battle,motivation is were its at,to make a athlete their is more than one way to get results
don't bother coming back with another snide comment i am not going to respond

T.M.H.N.E.T

who said any thing about money,you keep your opinions to your self if you can't be positive,I have been positive to the op and yet a keyboard warrior wants to battle,motivation is were its at,to make a athlete their is more than one way to get results
don't bother coming back with another snide comment i am not going to respond
I stand by the comment too - If I was paying someone to "train" me and that was the advice given,I would demand my money back. In fact even if it was free I'd walk away.

Please have a go at addressing some of the issues below,I believe I have made reasonable attempt to be constructive and give good sound reason.

Only by volume.:boxing:

and not wanting to over complicate replies
I can see sense in this, but my not wanting to complicate replies you actually got the reply,incredibly factually wrong. It's indefensible when giving other people advice.

the advice you get on a forum is just that advice,not gospel
That doesn't mean you give any old advice you can think of and hope it sticks. I honestly couldn't sleep at night if I thought any advice I gave on the internet (in my own free time and of free will of course) was incorrect, inconsistent or potentially damaging to the recipients health. I may be a keyboard warrior, but I'm not going to bullshit people around when it comes to exercise,diet,health and weightloss. Nor am I going to say nothing when I see bad or illt-thought advice. As hard as it may seem, I care about people, pseudonyms or otherwise.

unless you have a full over view on the situation,what works for one may not work for others
Here is the overview: Cycling forum - endurance sport - carbs are good - sustainable deficits to lose weight healthily and sustainably. Bad diet can't be out-exercised and is 80% of the issue when it comes to fitness,endurance and weightloss.

forums allow you to gather information and use the information to make a informed decision
And forums also allow the asking of questions. Those questions should really have the best answers available. Full,detailed and factually correct answers.

there is no need to doubt members knowledge,
There is every need when resulting advice could potentially cause harm to another human being who takes it literally in good faith. All too often on here (and other forums) this "eat less - move more" thing crops up. While not complicated it doesn't take into account that the recipient of the advice, may well not be able to eat less. Sometimes advice is generic,but sometimes you need to dig deeper in order to personalise it.

Disorganised mum,

Unless you are on steroids or blessed/cursed with a lot of testosterone, don't worry about big muscles: it's not going to happen. Men put on muscle way more easily than woman.

I used to squat about my body weight (eg 60kg+ on my shoulders) and I never got thigh muscles I could see, mores the pity. I just got strong, which is never a problem.

Find an exercise you enjoy, and can keep doing in the long term. One that works into your routine is best. eg for me at the moment it's commuting, so it's free.

I'd suggest you put both your boys in a trailer and attach it to your husbands bike. Then the 4 of your can cycle together, and with that extra weight, you'll both get a good work out.

Top Bottom