Best way to sell a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm selling my Claud Butler Dalesman and naturally advertised it first on here, but sadly no takers so I advertised on Gumtree and got three very excited enquiries, all of which dissolved into the ether.

So it looks like eBay next (sigh).

Unless anyone here can recommend a better path?

I've sold a few bike via fleabay, and touch wood have never had a problem.

Nowadays I tend to stick to buyer collects, I know it narrows your bidders but it's just simpler all round.

If you do want to use a courier then Paisley Freight are generally touted as a good 'un with fair prices.

If somebody wants to arrange their own courier and pay you with PayPal just be aware, a current scam is to do this, then say they never received it, then get their money back via PayPal. As you can't prove you sent it you will get shafted. Same goes for people collecting from you. Collection = cash, no paypal, simple.

asterix

Comrade Member
Is the spring not the best time to sell a bike? I'll be selling one soon* but'd imagine late summer/autumn might be more of a buyer's market?

WRT ebay, decent photos are best IMO. It's amazing how good some sellers are at the dim, out-of-focus, cropped shots that conceal so much. Even cheap digital cameras are no excuse these days. Not that I'd accuse the OP of any such practices!

+1 for decent photos, (use a hosting site to post pics into the listing and keep the fees down), and also a very good, clear, well laid out description.

I see loads of bikes on eBay where I think I could steal that, (due to the poor listing and poor interest), clean it up, take some good photos and re-list it properly and make more money.

Just can't be arsed though TBH :whistle:

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Thanks all, I was a pro on eBay for a while http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=lawsie&ftab=AllFeedback till their fees started going through the roof.

I appreciate all your help, I've been away from eBay for a while so didn't know if it was still the place to be or not :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
Unless anyone here can recommend a better path?
If its an XL sell it to me for a tenner. No annoying tyre kickers, no cold callers, just a swift transaction ;)

Seriously, eBay could be the way to go if you've tried the obvious already.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Read my post about the problem we've just had with TNT wrecking a bike we sold on Ebay. Make it very clear to your buyer that it's their responsibility to inspect and check for damage BEFORE signing.

UKclimbing has a pretty active bike forum.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Gumtree came up trumps in the end and I sold it to a very nice man who popped over this afternoon. He was just getting into cycling and I think the bike is a good fit for him.

I've had very valuable guitars trashed by couriers before, so you have my sympathies for your bike trouble.

Top Bottom