Best way to spend £106BILLION ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
It would fund the BBC for the next 25 years.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The OP is made under a false premise.

There is not a pot of £106billion waiting to be spent on something.

Some of the cost has been raised commercially from the project itself.

Thus if we didn't have HS2, we wouldn't have all that finance.

But there's no doubt a lot of public money will be spent, and there's good arguments for spending that elsewhere.

As there always is with any large project.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The OP is made under a false premise.

There is not a pot of £106billion waiting to be spent on something.

Some of the cost has been raised commercially from the project itself.

Thus if we didn't have HS2, we wouldn't have all that finance.

But there's no doubt a lot of public money will be spent, and there's good arguments for spending that elsewhere.

As there always is with any large project.
Plus the rumoured 22000 jobs it will create and all the supply companies for materials etc.
It classic Keynesian economics to pump the system

Drago

Legendary Member
HS2 has a number of benefits...

HS2 may have a number of benefits - we won't really know if any of it will benefit as planned until it is finished.

It classic Keynesian economics to pump the system

At the present time, with the economy taking a smack in the nuts due to the virus, that may actually be a very good thing.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
With better management it wouldn't need to be as expensive... according to 2 contractors quoting for Japanese Knotweek treatment [on land being acquired for the route], who responded to the HS2 project management consultants' requests for revaluations of their work packages which effectively doubled the contract value- both rubber stamped without any value engineering.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
More of a shame for the SSSI , Ancient woodlands , nature reserves that now find they are in the way. Not to forgetting the odd new housing estate, bit's of newly open canal oh and most of a scout camp along the way. :sad:
You've been reading too much Daily Wail, the protesters friend. :laugh:

tom73

Guru
You've been reading too much Daily Wail, the protesters friend. :laugh:
No just looked at how things are for myself and what it all means for around my way. I'm not bothered about price of my house brigade and I don't want my view being spoilt by the pin pick train line in the distance.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
If the costs include adding new track/ replacing all existing rails/ smoothing out curves and improving banking on the entire East and West Coast mainlines then improvements can be made... but the route description link below makes no mention of improving branch lines or existing tracks. Nor does it mention improving the vital cross country routes.

https://www.hs2.org.uk/where/route-map-described/
Why would it? Neither have ever been part of HS2, and the latter has always been touted as a separate scheme (HS3 anyone?).

Top Bottom