Best way to store tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have a number of tyres not on bikes at the moment - summer tyres waiting for summer, thinner tyres replaced by fatter, but still perfectly usable. What's the best and neatest way to store them?
(All folding bead)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mine are hung up on a bike wall mount, behind a bike that's hung there. Lesser used ones are in the garage loft. so long as they are out of sunlight. I've some Snow Studs I get out each winter (currently fitted to my commuter) that I've had since 2010.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't tend to keep road bike spares though - no need. Some perish rather quickly - looking at you Mr Michelin Pro 4's !

I've got 3 sets for the old MTB, and again 3 sets for the FS MTB bike. MTB a bit different - Ice studs for both, main use tyres and a set that I have spare.

Eg. the Full Sus - I run all year on Maxis Minions, I have Ice Spikers just for fun when it snows, and also an older set of XC Nobby Nics - they roll well, but grip on off camber and roots isn't great, they slide out. The Minions are lots slower, but they are so grippy.

Commuter has fat MTB tyres from when it wasn't used for commuting, faster rolling commuter tyres (Land Cruisers) and winter tyre - Snow Studs, as Ice on canal cobbles can be a bit lethal. Also have a set of half worn summer tyres too, but they flat too easily.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Thanks all - maybe a ladder hook would work for hanging them neatly in the garage, rather than draped over the bars of various bikes :okay:

Somewhere dark and dry
my garage is dark and wet - is water/dampness much of a problem if the tyres are kept out of the water?

(I did until I learned my lesson store tyres in an upstairs spare bedroom that got a lot of heat - once putting a new tyre on tonset off on the Dunwich Dynamo it just exploded)

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I hung mine in the appliance room inside the house. No direct sunlight and heated.

Top Bottom