Best ways to pack and carry work shirt and trousers on commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
As others have indicated, the key to long commutes is to leave everything you can at work. Not just clothes; washing kit, towel, locks, spare tubes/tyres, pump, tools...etc.

Can you pick up your stuff from work and take it to the gym?

You really don’t want weight for these rides, do everything you can to avoid carrying stuff at all, but if you have to - panniers.

Wrap all your clothes in a plastic bag before you put them in the pannier. And figure out what you’ll do that inevitable day when you arrive with your clothes soaked, or the pants missing.

Good advice there, no matter how organised you think you are, you're going to spend at least one day a year commando. :shy:

Fold.and roll and buy 'non iron' range shirts. They still need ironing but crease far less.

Lay shirt buttons up, fold arms in, fold both side into centre, roll from.bottom.upto collar, preferably around your clean undies, for minimal in transit creasing
This! Works fine so long as you don't roll too tight or too loose. If you take care and be mindful of how you pack your bag/pannier, you can get away with very minimal creasing. I find days when I transport trousers and a towel I have much less creasing also, presumably the larger roll has less aggressive angles. I start with undies, then towel, then trouser and finally shirts. Seen as though I ride 10 miles to save on weight and washing, I do leave trousers in all week and wash at the weekend, and swap towels every 2-3 days.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
If possible, leave the stuff at work.

Whatever happens, you need a full set of everything (shoes, shirt, trousers, socks, pants, towel etc. ) at work, because you can guarantee that one day you will arrive without a usable item.
I have a rule that I never ever take the last item home (a creased shirt worn for two days is better than no shirt at all)

Crankarm

Guru
As others have indicated, the key to long commutes is to leave everything you can at work. Not just clothes; washing kit, towel, locks, spare tubes/tyres, pump, tools...etc.

Can you pick up your stuff from work and take it to the gym?

You really don’t want weight for these rides, do everything you can to avoid carrying stuff at all, but if you have to - panniers.

Wrap all your clothes in a plastic bag before you put them in the pannier. And figure out what you’ll do that inevitable day when you arrive with your clothes soaked, or the pants missing.

If you get Ortlieb panniers then the contents inside remain dry as they are waterproof.

Slick

Guru
As anyone done a YouTube video of how to fold clothes so they can go in a bike pannier and when they still look good when the come out?
No and very much doubt it.

I need to carry one in a backpack tomorrow so I thought I'd go with the rolled up version.

Slick

Guru
I folded a well ironed shirt into my backpack this morning and got it to work around 90%. I really wanted to stop halfway and take off my jacket but thought I would just tuff it out to make sure i didn't crease it any more than was necessary. Not ideal but I'm sure nobody noticed.

Top Bottom