Best Wheels For 800 quid!!??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

right, im sorry for all of the recent questions, but i just dont know what to do!!!

800 quid is my all out, cant afford anything more budget! so heres the deal.....

i need a wheelset that is.....

VERY STRONG
VERY STIFF
AERO
LIGHT

i will be mainly using the wheels for Raod Racing, but they will also be used for the odd time trial!

any ideas? please dont say handbuilts!!!

thanks!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I think you should certainly consider the Reynolds Attack Wheels. I've heard some good reports of them. I think Wiggle have them down from 800 to only 650 pounds.

stevenb

Have a browse on Ribbles website and Wiggles. Some good deals on there.
How deep do you want the rim profile to be?
The Reynolds are pretty light and look as if they'd slice through the air no probs. ;)

OP
OP
S

steve23

they dont have to be that deep!!! just aero, as they will be used for the odd TT!

im just spoilt for choice, and dont know what to do!

yenrod

Steve, no way do you need to spend this much...go shop build and you can truly get light stiff and strong !!!!!

And a whole lot cheaper too.

yenrod

Sorry to rain your parade Steve but its just bigtime mark-up for a stuff thats been out a fair while...

ie Tange frames (good quality-been out for years) with a price id choke on !

MichaelM

Guru
steve23 said:
right, im sorry for all of the recent questions, but i just dont know what to do!!!

any ideas? please dont say handbuilts!!!

thanks!

O.K.

For £800, a nice set of handbuilt DT 1.1 Road Race Rims (or 1.2 if you really want Aero section) on DT 190 Ceramic hubs with dt Revolution spokes.

Online Prices
Rear Hub £337.50
Front Hub £ 179
2 rims £80

Take to lbs, build up & spokes £100.

You'll have have £100 change :smile:

Stwutter

steve23 said:
ive decided im going to go for the campag shamal ultra wheels!!!

Great choice. Been riding them for 8 months. Under 1.4kg, stiff - dunno what you paid but under £600 on Wiggle.

Oh - and they're bloody gold* - BLING BLING ;)

(*Unless you bottled it and went for the new ones...).

OP
OP
S

steve23

yep, i went for the titanium ones!!! gold wouldnt suit my red bike!!!

what are the wheels like for road racing on? stiff and responsive???

thanks

Will1985

Über Member
They should be if they are at the top of the Campag medium profile range! Out of interest, what was wrong with Eurus'? They cost £150 less and weigh just over 100g more, with most of that being in the hub where it doesn't matter. Granted the bling factor of titanium or gold colour is something, although I have to admit being partial to black wheels.

Stwutter

steve23 said:
yep, i went for the titanium ones!!! gold wouldnt suit my red bike!!!

what are the wheels like for road racing on? stiff and responsive???

thanks

Not raced on them, but been getting back to fitness after a lay-off so have been hammering them a little, and I can't fault them. they're my first mid-top range set of hoops, so was alittle worried waht might have happened after hitting the many rocks around Hertfordshire, but they're still true as anything.

Top Bottom