Better leg braking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
MajorMantra said:
That's about 79 gear inches which is on the high side for general riding, although not if you live somewhere fairly flat. I find about 70" works well in Edinburgh and 74" is ok though a touch high sometimes. Going to a smaller gear will definitely make leg braking and skidding easier.

Matthew

Thanks I live in manchester, so fairly flat and my gearing is fine for actually cycling, but if a lower gear will increase controllability etc im deffo open to trying it out, can always switch back. Also might help running on easier gear and picking up the skills then slowly go back up so I can transfer the skills.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rob3rt, get some brakes......really.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
fossyant said:
I'd come in quite quick and was leg braking quickly - he didn't know I ride fixed every day.....there was a mix of us out there, he was concerned I'd pull a muscle :biggrin:

Though, if you were skid-stopping on the track, you'd deserve a bollocking.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
fossyant said:
Rob3rt, get some brakes......really.

Im getting brakes, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to pick up other skills as well, as far as I see it, the more skils you have riding the bike the better, whether you use them or not, you have them incase there should be a need.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
[quote name='swee'pea99']Absolutely.

Also, 'brake', I'd say. Don't think you need a rear brake.[/QUOTE]

Yeah apparently you need 2 independant braking systems for legality, not sure leg braking counts :tongue: but I am NOT running a rear break, front only. Call it stupid but I dont want break cables running along the frame ruining its soon to be (when its back from powder coat and its new wheels fitted) lovely clean simplistic appearence.

colinr

Yeah apparently you need 2 independant braking systems for legality, not sure leg braking counts
It does count, you only need a front brake on fixed to comply with the law.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
fossyant said:
Have you got a brake yet ? (only thinking about your safety on Oxford Road..... students and busses are lethal.)

Havent been out on the bike this week, in the process of stripping it down to send away for its powdercoat (it needs de-uglying) and been major busy with work. Its going to be away for 4 weeks, when its back im putting new wheels and a brake on it. GBH will be ordering in my wheels and hubs etc when I drop the bike off, talked to Mill House about it the other day, told me to pop down to discuss the hubs and spokes etc. Will discuss the brake when we discuss the rims (rear can be non-machined and front machined, now the law has been clarified)

Since looking at parts for making the Fuji less ugly (and more suited to taking a bashing on the streets), I think I've got the bug and am going to end up buying a Dolan Track Champion (or Pre-cursa) and speccing it myself as a fixed wheel time trial bike, for a hobby.

I'll be riding the Cannondale for the next month, which is fully equiped with brakes and gears, lol

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yeah they seem like really nice guys, the bike should be transformed from ugly to looking pretty awesome once they are done with it. Black frame, chrome forks, and deep V or B43 rims on some nice track hubs. (Although probly not all in one go ;))

Top Bottom