Beware distressing pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Even though it was started and paid for by cyclists, the RIA stressed from its foundation that it was lobbying for better roads to be used by all, not just cyclists

:cycle: :bicycle: :becool:

Yah boo sucks to car drivers. :tongue:

Wishing the guy a speedy recovery.

Roads near me are awful, literially look like they been carpet bombed.
Same here.

I live on the Oxon/Bucks border and I think Bucks just shades it for awfulness. The largest we measured was 3ft x 18" x 9" deep - and that was in that condition for 2 weeks before it was filled...
The worst one by us was a similar size and took up half the road - it's only taken reporting it 4 times over as many months for them to throw a bit of sloppy tarmac in there (yesterday) that actually doesn't fill it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Inspected 3 days prior by Mr Magoo perhaps.
Yeah, I really would love to see a copy of that inspection report... but not quite enough to www.WhatDoTheyKnow.com it especially as I don't recognise the exact location which doesn't look like it's in Stony Stratford town and there's not much to identify it. It's probably about as good as when my local council couldn't find a hole in National Cycle Route 11 reported with location, map and photo but only told me when I asked them why they hadn't fixed it after 8 months. And that was 2013. How many must be injured before there's serious action?

Alan O

Über Member
Talking about the state of roads, I'm reminded of a trip I did in Cambodia once. Some roads I traveled are built on earth foundations a few feet above the surrounding land, so they're above water during the rainy season floods. That can be very effective, providing the earth is laid and rolled in multiple thin layers to make sure it's packed really hard, but to save on time and costs (it's a very poor country, after all, with corruption a daily fact of life), many of them are laid all on one go and only the top layer gets a proper rolling. So once the more hardened top layer gets penetrated by water, the whole thing starts to crumble.

It makes me so happy to know that I live in a country that can afford to make and maintain its roads properly, where priority is given to the actual needs of road users, and where politicians aren't blinkered by whatever pie they've currently got their fingers in.

Oh, hang on...

Top Bottom