BHIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Taken from a post by a cycling paramedic friend of mine

The Bicycle Helmet Initiative Trust is an award winning
child cyclist's safety charity. The Trust was founded in 1998 by a paediatric
nurse who through her work saw the devastation that head injury can cause not
only to the child but to the whole family. Since its conception the charity has
grown in its drive and commitment to be an advocate for the child and young
person. It also provides a community service by highlighting the need of safer
cycling practices that incorporate the distinctive needs of children and young
people.
The charity is a national resource working with parents, teachers, police, road safety officers, Government departments and healthcare professionals by promoting and providing educational programmes in schools on the need for helmet use and safer cycling practice throughout the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland. The trust supplies helmets, lights, locks etc etc at cost plus about £1, the profit goes towards buying more helmets and giving them to children who cant afford them completely F.O.C.
They also provide packs that can be handed out to children you spot riding correctly with suitable safety equipment, this contains a few little freebies plus a chance to win a Wii or similar prize in the grand draw they run each year, contact them if you want some packs and they'll post them out to you.

If you visit the site you'll find various resources available to use, the egg helmet is amazing, a minature helmet that will fit an egg which you then drop on the floor to show how a helmet will protect your head, plus order forms for leaflets etc.

http://www.bhit.org

The Bicycle Helmet
Initiative Trust,
71 Milford Road,
Reading,
Berkshire
RG1 8LG.

tel: 0118 958 3585
email: BHIT@dial.pipex.com

So are you going to point out to your friend the lies they tell, or the way they don't seem to do anything for cycling safety practice, merely helmet selling & scaremongering?

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
So are you going to point out to your friend the lies they tell, or the way they don't seem to do anything for cycling safety practice, merely helmet selling & scaremongering?

Do you mean their ideas that child death numbers are "under reported" ( hence the reason they can't get their numbers to work) or that absorbing the KE from a 12mph collision is half the KE of a 25 MPH collision?

Do you mean their ideas that child death numbers are "under reported" ( hence the reason they can't get their numbers to work) or that absorbing the KE from a 12mph collision is half the KE of a 25 MPH collision?

For a start.

No helmet standard is better than another, they've never caused rotational injuries, people never take more risks when wearing them, that mph is a measure of energy absorbtion...and that is in a one minute skim.

But by far the biggest is ; "committed to saving young people’s lives by promoting safer cycling and, in particular, the use of cycle helmets" - I could not find a single mention of promoting safer cycling. Lots of 'have slightly safer accidents, but not safer cycling.

Little yellow Brompton

For a start.

No helmet standard is better than another, they've never caused rotational injuries, people never take more risks when wearing them, that mph is a measure of energy absorbtion...and that is in a one minute skim.

But by far the biggest is ; "committed to saving young people’s lives by promoting safer cycling and, in particular, the use of cycle helmets" - I could not find a single mention of promoting safer cycling. Lots of 'have slightly safer accidents, but not safer cycling.

I notice they have dropped the 80%+ figure now. Amazing how much cleaner their website has become after a few digs from the ASA....?

Little yellow Brompton

Probably more that the ASA now has jurisdiction over on-line content too.

That was what I meant...

When making a complaint about tBehit's marketing website, I helpfully sent a copy to Behit. Most of their claims dissapeared before the ASA got around to looking at the page(s)

BTW do I know you? You sound this guy from another place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom