Bianchi Dolomiti

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lambchop

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, recently got back on my bike (had been far too long!) and I'm cycling around 50 miles a week to gently ease back into it!

I'm looking at an upgrade to a Bianchi Dolomiti Veloce Compact classic 2009. As it's a steel framed bike will it be a heavy lump? Is steel more forgiving than my alu framed Dawes? Any opinions on this bike?

Thanks.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Lambchop said:
Any opinions on this bike?
Until 10 minutes ago I'd never heard of these, and now I want one - what a beautiful bike!

I can't find a frame weight (yet, give me time...) but seriously doubt it's going to be a heavy lump. In general steel is more forgiving ride than aluminium.

OP
OP
Lambchop

Lambchop

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. Yes it is rather pleasing to the eye I must agree! The only problem I'm having is trying to source one, seems to have either just been released or a limited production run?

I thought they had brought back my favourite childhood ice-cream - that's what a dolomiti looks like:

dolomitieis.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Isn't it funny how steel bikes are gaining popularity again. Is it all marketing and fashion?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
The US steel looks nice, but not as nice as the Dolomiti!
Will be interested to see what the tubing is for the Dolomiti though - the US ones are 653, same as my Pearson Audax bike, which isn't exactly a featherweight, but then not exactly heavy either.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Fab Foodie said:
Isn't it funny how steel bikes are gaining popularity again. Is it all marketing and fashion?
Was thinking that recently, I particularly love retro steel and there are a few nice ones around, the Kona Kapu, De Rosa etc

Probably partly fashion, possibly because there are a lot of fixed and singlespeeds around or being made out of nice old steel frames so manufacturers are starting to make them again.

My 653 will probably only weigh about 500g more than an aluminium frame, with the difference being that (hopefully) the steel will last far longer and give a more comfortable ride.

I've also been surprised at how heavy some carbon bikes seem.

OP
OP
Lambchop

Lambchop

Sorry Baggy! For me the Dolomiti appeals so much as I'm into my classic cars, and appreciate the workmanship that has gone to create such a beauty, oh and the chrome!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Baggy said:
Was thinking that recently, I particularly love retro steel and there are a few nice ones around, the Kona Kapu, De Rosa etc

Probably partly fashion, possibly because there are a lot of fixed and singlespeeds around or being made out of nice old steel frames so manufacturers are starting to make them again.

My 653 will probably only weigh about 500g more than an aluminium frame, with the difference being that (hopefully) the steel will last far longer and give a more comfortable ride.

I've also been surprised at how heavy some carbon bikes seem.

I agree.
I've also thought that probably the largest segment of the population getting back into bikes are the 40 somethings. What helps is that they have money. They probably grew-up drooling over 531/Columbus tubed bikes, classic Bianchi's Carltons, Holdsworths etc. and now they have the cash they want to buy them again. Also many 40 somethings have probably done Alu or Carbon bikes and realised what they really want is a 'proper' bike to look like those cool, gnarled, Ray-Ban toting Italian and French 'Grimpeurs' on their Sunday morning constitutionals. Proper tubes matter.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Baggy said:
The US steel looks nice, but not as nice as the Dolomiti!
Will be interested to see what the tubing is for the Dolomiti though - the US ones are 653, same as my Pearson Audax bike, which isn't exactly a featherweight, but then not exactly heavy either.

Excuse my ignorance but is all 653, 531 etc the same thickness or are the numbers referring to the composition of the steel?

Top Bottom