Bianchi hybrid vs Planet X flat bar CX for trails

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tallbloke49

Hey all, due to a bad lower back my mountain bike days are over, no problem, there's enough trails, woods and coastal paths to keep me happy where I live (Wirral, Merseyside ). So I sold my suspension MTB and bought a Bianchi Camaleonte 2 2011 hybrid for the trails. Pretty happy with the bike, but I'm considering knocking off a lot of weight and buying a Planet X XLS flat bar Cylocross for the same rides. The alloy Bianchi is 27lbs, the carbon Planet X is 21lbs. Deore mix on the Bianchi, all Tiagra on the Planet X, both with discs.

Some of my rides still involve riding over slightly rough terrain....rattling over tree roots, riding off foot high drops ( carefully). The Bianchi is holding up fine, and I was wondering if the Planet X would the same ? I've never owned a CX bike so have no experience of the durability or handling. The Planet X top tube would be roughly 2 cm shorter than the Bianchi, the Bianchi is a very good fit.

If anyone could throw any light on what I could or could not do on the Planet X XLS flat bar CX I would greatly appreciate it. Plus I don't know if the shorter top tube would be an issue, and if it is, whether a longer stem, set back seatpost would sort things.

In an ideal world I would like to know which of the 2 framesets would be the toughest, I'd still like to be able to push my self a little without fear of the frame of forks failing.

Many thanks

Top Bottom