Bianchi Oltre XR4 Disc build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simple Simon

Veteran
@JhnBssll What a great thread and a stunning XR4 you have built up.
I picked up my new Oltre last Sunday and due to weather and work I haven’t been out on my maiden ride yet.

The video of my bike being built is here

View: https://youtu.be/2D5OHoqmuM4

Can’t wait to see what this beast is capable of.

cheers,
Si

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
After the success of the new printed GPS mount I decided it was a bit naff to then have the varia mounted to the seatpost with rubber bands so I've started a mini project this evening to come up with a better way of mounting it. I hope also to cover the seatpost clamp bolt - I had used a Giant TCR seatpost cover before which worked well at first but perished pretty quickly so I'm looking for an alternative solution.

First stage was to 3D scan the seatpost and clamp area...

This took a bit of doing as my scanner doesnt like dark colours very much but I eventually got enough detail captured to work with :laugh:

I then started playing in CAD and quickly lost several hours, which is why I'm posting this past bedtime :laugh: Here's where I've gotten to...

The garmin quarter turn adapter will screw in the end there for the varia to attach to. I haven't decided yet whether to make the fit snug on the seatpost so it's just held in place with friction or whether it will need some sort of clamp, I'll sleep on it and think about printing a prototype at some point :okay:

I've also ordered a "forged carbon fibre development kit" that looks a lot like this...

This will arrive on Monday so thats quite exciting, whether this part will end up suitable to trial the process with I'm not yet sure but I'll no doubt have fun finding out :laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
That looks like fun, but I would be worried that the mount could damage both the seat post and the frame as the seat post flexes. Maybe you could rubberise the inside of the mount which could also mean you can get away with just an interference fit.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
That looks like fun, but I would be worried that the mount could damage both the seat post and the frame as the seat post flexes. Maybe you could rubberise the inside of the mount which could also mean you can get away with just an interference fit.

Yeah, totally agree. I've put an offset all around the mating surfaces for now and was intending to apply some paint protection film to the bike where the new mount will be :okay: I might try and print one later for a test fit but I've got some house stuff to do first while MrsBssll is out :laugh:

Saw this on the GCN tech show from Thursday.
Smallie bigs and misaligned valves robbed you of a super nice but they owed it to you for messing up the usernames!

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Ha yeah, I had no idea they chose bikes for the tech show when I posted so was a nice surprise :smile: I've popped another pic up with it posed a little better and tagged them in, worth a shot at a super nice hehe

Top Bottom