Bianchi Sempre custom build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK. This one has been a bit of time coming. My Sempre frameset finally arrived last week, so with a few extra bits from Ribble, a raid of the groupset from Annalisa (my Scott CR1) and a bit of work from me and my LBS, i finally finished "Caterina" this evening.

154661_10150346545705002_778270001_15778984_2286757_n.jpg

So far, it's only done the 1km between my LBS and home. Sadly is raining and i have am 'orrid case of flu, so not going to be able to ride it until next weekend. Weighed it in the shop and it came to a not too shabby 7.3kg.

Will take some proper photos tomorrow.

Poor Annalisa though isn't happy having been stripped of her luxuries. Ah well, at least she's still got her wheels and is (almost) as pretty as she used to be.....

76931_10150346547595002_778270001_15779013_837369_n.jpg

Tollers

looks great Mark, what frame size did you get?, cant believe you stripped your Scott tho

So what of your Ribble frame?

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Now the sun's out. Please indulge me whilst i take 5 minutes out to be a very proud bike tart :tongue:

5192535260_54a807aaae_b.jpg

5191938423_d2f0010be8_b.jpg

5191940461_51d38d54fc_b.jpg

5191941517_a42cfc2bf1_b.jpg

5191942915_e24249c397_b.jpg

5191944257_7965ce5fec_b.jpg

5192542494_46b0edfa87_b.jpg

Not sure what to do with the Ribble (Tiziana). She's very literally in pieces. I'm gonna consider a few options:

1) Mount her on the wall as art
2) Take her home to england and look for a bargain groupset to build her up as my english tramp
3) Sell her in US
4) Sell her in UK

I'm undecided yet
wacko.gif

5191948851_70bc83e265_b.jpg

5191950799_3f3dcd5b67_b.jpg

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
looks great Mark, what frame size did you get?, cant believe you stripped your Scott tho

So what of your Ribble frame?

Scott (Annalisa) isn't stripped. It's rebuilt with the bits from the Ribble (Tiziana). So she's almost as good, but instead of Super Record, she's now equipped with Centaur....and a less sexy seatpost and stem. Otherwise she's the same. It's Tiziana who is the stripper!
tongue.gif

Anyway, you asked about what size the Bianchi is. They call it a 53, but Bianchi's size naming convention seems mental. They measure from centre of bb to vertical height headset along the angle of the seat tube. More conventionally, it's 50cm c-t, compared to 52cm c-t on the Scott and 47cm c-t on the Ribble.

Mark

Looks fantastic Mark, new Garmin too. How do the price vary from buying via the US v's the UK?

How much time do you get to ride?

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Looks fantastic Mark, new Garmin too. How do the price vary from buying via the US v's the UK?

How much time do you get to ride?

Yup. New Garmin. I'd been saving my pennies for the last few months.....new Turbo trainer should be arriving next week too :smile:

Prices here CAN be cheaper, but you have to work at it. Generally, anything European is more expensive and that includes all Campag and frames. However, there is a neat trick of ordering stuff from the UK and getting it shipped over which means that i can avoid the 30% UK VAT (or whatever ridiculous number it is this week). Of course, i have to pray it gets through customs without having to pay 10% US duty, but so far so good.

The Garmin (with cadence sensor, US maps and HR monitor) i paid $550 discounted from the normal price of $650. I think the equivalent at Wiggle works out at $675.

In general, America seems quite cowboy. People seem quite happy to be screwed over and squeezed of their cash. There aren't any great business models like Wiggle or Ribble catering in high bulk low cost components, but as US is so big, it seems its quicker and cheaper to order stuff from the UK.

Sadly, I don't get nearly as much time to ride as i'd like. Work is a good 50-60 miles down the freeway so not really commutable but more importantly the freeway is slow as hell with everyone commuting to Silicone Valley. Takes a good hour and a half each way leaving evenings generally too short to go for a ride (hence buying the turbo). Weekends can be great though. Last weekend was glorious sunshine and 25 degrees. Problem with weekends is it's a hectic social whirl :smile: Haloween a few weeks back, thanksgiving coming up (not sure what im giving thanks for? sun, bikes and girls maybe). Think i might go see the new Harry Potter this evening....

Mark

72470_486866654121_672584121_6947053_4792436_n.jpg

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
nice Mark it looks like a trek, you should get out more

hope to see you over the xmas hols
d

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
hey, well done on the new bike, zero points for stripping Tizi though - I am disgusted with you. I am even tempted to not even acknowledge you if you make it on a ride.

As for Harry Potter - that is pretty frightening.....what has the US done to you?!

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
hey, well done on the new bike, zero points for stripping Tizi though - I am disgusted with you. I am even tempted to not even acknowledge you if you make it on a ride.

As for Harry Potter - that is pretty frightening.....what has the US done to you?!

Don't fear. Tizi still has life in her yet. We'll just have to see how that happens. If i find a bargain groupset and rear wheel, then she'll be up and running in no time. Part of me is curious to make her an experiment in Shimano. Hmmmm.

Frightening? Grrrr. Gonna have to cast a spell.....Puncturious!!!!!!

Great bike Mark. The Ribble frame if you do decide to sell it should sell easily as they are great bikes.Please don't mention sunshine again though as sitting here in South London I am waiting for the snow to arrive that they have just had up North.

Oh yes speaking of sunshine whats the weather like in SF in March as the wife are thinking of coming over there then.

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Sorry Honda. Only just noticed your post.

Let me know if you're coming. I missed most of march when i moved over,so no first hand experience, although the last few days were 25 degrees with scorching sun. That is not typical though. It should be fairly mild with possibility of rain. SF weather can be as unpredictible as home and different neighbourhoods have their own microclimates. If you do come, plan to wear layers and def bring a waterproof just in case.

Top Bottom