Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Dama Sora

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tt123

Regular
My 12 year old son has started at the local road cycling club, and was needing a new bike, so we visited our local bike shop to see what they recommended.

They suggested this one, both due to the small size we required and the potential resale value.

http://www.bianchiusa.com/archives/2011/dama-bianca/via-nirone-7-dama-sora/

We ended up giving about £600 all in (pedals, computer, waterbottle & holder) for it, which was slightly more than I'd planned on spending, but he seems to be getting on quite well with it so far.

What's the CC opinion on the bike? Decent quality? Was it an okay price we gave?

Thanks in advance for any input.

tt123

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
A slightly odd choice for your son imho as the bike is claimed to be designed around a womans geometrys and distinctive needs (although im not sure what that means). I assume the LBS gave your son a bike fitting to ensure it was suitable for him.
Im not personally a fan of the sora groups. I would have looked more towards Sram Apex if looking for a budget groupset.
The most important thing is that your son is happy with the bike, but I personally would have looked towards, ribble, planetx, or something similar. I would possibly look at second hand or last years models as I feel you could get better spec product for the price. I think resell value is overated as people do not want to pay what things are really worth, they want a bargain.

Was it an ok price? only you can decide.
I love all my bikes, but im under no illusion that they are great value or wise buys.

OP
OP
tt123

tt123

Regular
I was a bit surprised that he recommended a women's bike too, but I think it was due to the fact that he needed a 46 cm frame. I'm by no means an experienced cyclist myself, so have no real idea of what else is available in such small sizes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Seems a good price for a roadbike, you wouldn't get much else new for that (no Planet X) and is a lush colour of course :smile: If it feels right for him and he likes it, then, IMO, it was a good buy :smile:

Certainly no SRAM Apex bike new for that unless you can build something yourself?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Looks to be a good choice and fair price, and I am sure you will be able to resell it really easily when he grows out of it as there is always a demand from younger club riders for bikes of this sort of size. Classic Bianchi colour too. He may need to change the saddle from the women's one that is specified.

wakou

Über Member
Looks to be a good choice and fair price, and I am sure you will be able to resell it really easily when he grows out of it as there is always a demand from younger club riders for bikes of this sort of size. Classic Bianchi colour too. He may need to change the saddle from the women's one that is specified.

+1 to this, Charge spoon or a Boardman for a cheap but good saddle, Ladies' saddles are really bad for men/boys...... I wonder if Men's saddles are as bad for women? If so there must be millions of women out there who have been deterred from cycling because of discomfort... I rode a Ladies' saddle for a couple of weeks, not uncomfortable where you might think, but it is what it tries to do with the pelvis, women's pelvises (pelvii?) are different shape (Praise be!)

wakou

Über Member
....As for the original question, this looks like you have a terrific value deal there! Look forward to shelling out £££ if the lad continues to be keen on cycling, at his age he will outgrow his bikes every few months!

wakou

Über Member
+1 to this, Charge spoon or a Boardman for a cheap but good saddle, Ladies' saddles are really bad for men/boys...... I wonder if Men's saddles are as bad for women? If so there must be millions of women out there who have been deterred from cycling because of discomfort... I rode a Ladies' saddle for a couple of weeks, not uncomfortable where you might think, but it is what it tries to do with the pelvis, women's pelvises (pelvii?) are different shape (Praise be!)
In reply to my own post, it seems like you have a 'proper' LBS there who actually care about what they are selling you. I'm sure they will advise you re. saddles and probably will do a good deal on swapping the one you have for another.... Go ask them. Saddle is one thing worth spending ££ on, you can always keep it when you sell on the Bianchi...

wakou

Über Member
Me again! That saddle will sell well either here or on Ebay.. There are many more women seeking saddles than boys riding ladies bikes, if you see what I mean..

OP
OP
tt123

tt123

Regular
Thanks for all the replies. I'll take a look at a new saddle for him.

Cheers
tt123

Top Bottom