Bib shorts for possible convert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Having wondered what all the fuss was about bib shorts on CC, I was given a pair of summer hand-me-downs (thankfully washed - cheers Andrew) to experiment with. On today's early-morning ride I discovered some of the advantages (though the cold caused JT and his two friends to complain) and I'm looking to buy a new pair (bib shorts, that is). Recommendations please - I could go to £160 if convinced.

Oh, I include a picture of today's dawn at Old Felixstowe for your contemplation.
Bawdsy Jan 2014.jpg

mattobrien

Guru
In this weather, well at 07:30am today and around 2 degrees, I wore Castelli Sorpasso Windstoppers. They are tights and are amazing. I didn't have cold legs or man parts at all (I have been know to suffer from cold man parts previously on cold rides).

I did have to dodge ice, but that's another issue. The bib tights kept me warm. They retail at £160. If you want to try some, I bought mine from Lifecycle UK, based in Bildeston. They had to order in the Windstopper versions, but had the standard version for me to try on.

I would recommend tights for very cold weather, such as this morning, 3/4 for cool weather and shorts for warmer weather. There you go, an excuse to get a minimum of three sets as the weather changes.

Equally of you don't want to drop £160 on a pair of tights as a first pair, and that is something I empathise with, the dhb vaeon tights from wiggle are good and a lot less, they aren't as warm as the Castellis, but equally aren't as expensive. I have some of these too, along with many other 3/4's and shorts...

SWSteve

Guru
I own a pair of DHB Aeron Pro bibs, very comfortable (I've yet to try a pair of Castelli etc) If I had £160 I would Splash on a pair of fancy tights and another pair of those shorts

outlash

also available in orange
With the sales on, you could get a pair of both shorts and tights. I have a pair of Gore power bib shorts and they're pretty decent, there's no reason why the tights aren't any different.

Tony.

VamP

Banned
I have Castelli Velocissimo tights, in fact I have two pairs. Never been cold in them, and I have taken them out in some biblical weather. They are a lot nicer than the DHB tights I had previously, and retail around £90. The three quarter version of these is also good.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well below your budget but wiggles DHBs have been great so far for me.

Indeed, well made products and good prices.
You cant really go wrong with DHB.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I've decided to wait awhile. On reflection, I didn't get the wow-I-must-get-some with my initial test, but I'll try again come Spring. Thanks for all the advice, though.

zizou

Veteran
Assos Mille, recently got a pair from ribble for £110 - they are normally about £160 but they are being discontinued so should be some decent offers about

Dhb have alot of fans and i used to like them too but their current bibs are IMO poor compared to what they were like a couple of years ago - the lycra goes see through quickly and there isnt much padding particularly at the front.

Top Bottom