Bib shorts/tights for the wider arse!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Fact is, even though my weight is gradually coming down, I'll always be this wide and my sit-bones aren't going to get any narrower. I'm definitely a forward, not a back in rugby terms.

So far I've owned Altura/Endura/Specialized and possibly have a slight preference for the Endura, as the Altura chamois disintegrated after about 4 months. Otherwise, they're all okayish, but I know when I've done my weekly Sunday morning 80k, even if the rest of me feels fine. I've gone up to a 155mm wide saddle to suit my 135mm sit-bones and it was a notable improvement comfort wise.

However, in looking around for a new set of bib shorts (or two) such information regarding chamois width doesn't seem so forthcoming. Anybody out there of similar dimensions found something that is notably better, or are all chamois ample enough such that it doesn't matter, with quality being a more important consideration?

Cheers,

Russell

screenman

Legendary Member
Impsport, are worth speaking too.

big fan of these and I to find a lot of bib shorts padding too narrow don't be put off by the low price they r up there with the best imo
https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-wear-elite-cycling-bib-shorts-78605.html

+1
These are superb value and supremely comfortable over long distances.

They only have XL left which fit me perfectly. I'm no lightweight at 15 stone and 37 inch waist. I also have a fairly long torso (5' 10" with only 29" inside leg) and the braces are comfortable.

In fact, they're so good I've just ordered another couple of pairs bringing my tally up to 4, just in case they're discontinued.

Graham

Kajjal

Guru
I have a 155mm saddle and know what you mean. I find the gore bike wear bib shorts fit well in xxl size for me. I have the power ones which I use for road and mountain biking, and ride up to five hours with no problems.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I think I will try the Merlins, but I did press the button on a pair of the Endura FS260 Pro-SL 'standard leg/wide pad' bibs.

Why? Because they had measurements on their website that related to not only pad/sit-bone width, but leg length also. I'll see how they go over the next week, but I'm keeping a close eye on the Merlins as a very near future purchase, so I can back-to-back a comparison.

Cheers for the suggestions.

Russell

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Quick update: I took the Enduras out for a good long spin at the weekend and by gum, they are lush. Possibly size a up a little small given Enduras size charts, but then I size up a little large for my own liking. I'm working on that.

The gripper bands are very flat and wide and quite a struggle to get on as they grip so well. Once in place though, you don't know they're there - very effective.The plunging waste-line doesn't really help hold it all in, but then it did make snaking the little chap out for that last pre-ride wee a fair bit easier. You win some....

But that chamois! It may, or may not be better than any other, but being wide enough has made as much difference as getting the right width saddle. 3hrs deep and for the first time, I was in no way noticing my butt. By my seat of the pant-o-meter, it's made as much difference as the 155mm Spesh Romin and I was feeling pretty pleased about that purchase.

I will give the Merlin Elite a go, as another set of bibs would be pretty handy, but until next pay day, I'm well chuffed.

Russell

Top Bottom