Bib Shorts v regular Shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi I'm trying to wear up the pros and cons of bib shorts and regular (if thats the correct term) shorts and I just wondered what people think?
IMO bib shorts are nice in winter because of the extra warmth round the midriff however, they're a bit of a pain on a toilet stop :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Having developed a slight, errrrmmm, beer belly, I find that bib shorts are much more comfortable and don't slip down off the waistline. I manage to pee ok out of the bottom of the leg with a bit of jiggling about and I have quite a small nob!
I can't recall ever wanting a dump when out on the bike.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Bib shorts - way, way better. They tend to stay where they are, for one thing, and you don't have the elastic digging into your midriff like with waist shorts.

Re toilet stops, on mine I tend to hold the front of the bib part down, if that makes sense.

walker

certain makes of bibs have a lower cut towards the groin area (i.e. Assos shorts) some even have Zips (i.e. certain DHB) so toilet stops are ok, if you need a larger deposit, shall we say, you'd have to take your trousers down anyway, so taking bibs off are not much difference, other than having to take your jersey off too.

waistline shorts are good shorts don't knock them, but can be highly uncomfortable if you have any fat around your midrift as they tend to dig in.

John the Monkey said:
Bib shorts - way, way better. They tend to stay where they are, for one thing, and you don't have the elastic digging into your midriff like with waist shorts.

Re toilet stops, on mine I tend to hold the front of the bib part down, if that makes sense.

How does that help having a no. 2? Unless you have a different physical make-up! ;)

Bib shorts are (IMO) definitely the better option; more comfortable and more practical. Having a dump only happens (normally) once a day or so, so just get your timing right. The same can be said of salopettes when skiing, but it's easier for cyclists to have a dump than a skier! :biggrin:

dodgy

rich p said:
Having developed a slight, errrrmmm, beer belly, I find that bib shorts are much more comfortable and don't slip down off the waistline. I manage to pee ok out of the bottom of the leg with a bit of jiggling about and I have quite a small nob!
I can't recall ever wanting a dump when out on the bike.

I've been having flash-back giggles at that for about 5 minutes, nice one ;)

Dave.

Mac66

Depends what I'm doing. If commuting (only 16 mile round trip) then just shorts as they are cheaper and don't want to wear best. But when I does my proper cycling like, then bib shorts/longs every time.

Never had a no.2 stop whilst kitted up, but shoot out of the leg so to speak for the other.

i think i'd go bib shorts if you don't mind paying the extra., although i don't wear them myself as i've been around since before bib shorts were readily available so have always used normal shorts with a pair of flashy braces. that as all we had at that time.i still wear them because they're cheaper (£11.25 post free from merlin at the weekend.) and it's what i've always done. i do cut the elastic in the waist though, which is the only problem with them, hence bib shorts on comfort grounds if you don't mind the cost..as for "comfort stops" just unclip back or front as necessary!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I wear bib shorts .... and I'm a girl. Can't stand the nasty elastic things around my stomach/waist.

Peeing down one leg just doesn't seem to work though.

Only had to pull them down once whilst mountain biking over The Marin in North Wales. :smile:

Some dirty bastard had already dropped a turd and I trod in it. They even had the cheek to leave a bit of bog roll over it. :sad: There was a bloke on a specialized pissing himself as I found a nice 'bush' to hide behind. Wonder why....

domtyler

Über Member
snapper_37 said:
Some dirty bastard had already dropped a turd and I trod in it. They even had the cheek to leave a bit of bog roll over it. :sad: There was a bloke on a specialized pissing himself as I found a nice 'bush' to hide behind. Wonder why....

:smile:

Sorry Snapper, but I am pissing myself at that! :biggrin:

Top Bottom