Bib shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
This year might be the first year I try this so I'm trying to decide what to go for. Never worn cycle shorts before as I'm usually uncomfortable showing my legs off, LOL! Closest I've come is regular shorts

...anyway moving on...

I've been looking at various bib shorts. Will they stop the cutting into my gut situation, LOL? Also if the braces aint meshed how cool are you riding in normal material braces?

Been looking at Campagnolo Raytechs. Expensive though. Budget is about £200 so if I can get more than one set all the better. What are the brands you all like?

6foot 2inches, 36 inches waist and I think 36 inch inside leg if thats of help. I think that makes me XL.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I have bought these and recommend as a low priced way of checking if cycling shorts are for you. I've only done short 10 mile runs in then so far and have no complaints.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
i have various bib shorts & the best value I have are wiggle's dhb ones. I have others that were more than twice the price (descente & pearl izumi)

The idea of bibs is to stop cutting into the stomach & it works for me :ohmy:

The braces certainly dont seem overley warm, even today I wasn't too bad in mine

HTH

Soltydog said:
i have various bib shorts & the best value I have are wiggle's dhb ones. I have others that were more than twice the price (descente & pearl izumi)

The idea of bibs is to stop cutting into the stomach & it works for me :ohmy:

The braces certainly dont seem overley warm, even today I wasn't too bad in mine

HTH

+1 for bib shorts.

You will get 6 pair for 200 quid!

GrasB

Veteran
The problem is that each manufacture has a slightly different cut & what may be perfect for one person isn't right for another. As for price I'd be looking to spend around 60-80£ a pair for them so you should be able to get 3 sets from your budget.

jimboalee

I have a pair of the earliest bibtights made in lycra. I acquired them in a 'job-lot' of old kit from a LBS recently.

The front panel is rectangular with shoulder straps which button to the rear waistband.
No seat patch. They were intended to be worn over a lower layer of padded waist shorts.
When I was told about the buttons thing, I tried it for myself.
Yes, a pair of button-backed bibtights can be removed and discarded whilst riding.. a bit of a struggle, but possible.

The reason bibshorts were invented ( one reason has been told in an earlier thread ) is..

They hold a newspaper tight against the rider's chest.

Simple... but not necessary for the British cyclist...:rolleyes:

downfader said:
This year might be the first year I try this so I'm trying to decide what to go for. Never worn cycle shorts before as I'm usually uncomfortable showing my legs off, LOL! Closest I've come is regular shorts

...anyway moving on...

I've been looking at various bib shorts. Will they stop the cutting into my gut situation, LOL? Also if the braces aint meshed how cool are you riding in normal material braces?

Been looking at Campagnolo Raytechs. Expensive though. Budget is about £200 so if I can get more than one set all the better. What are the brands you all like?

6foot 2inches, 36 inches waist and I think 36 inch inside leg if thats of help. I think that makes me XL.

Same. If it is your 'first go' at bibshorts, then perhaps try something like this from Lusso. Not bad and a XXL will fit you. No need to go mad at first, but as your rides get longer and you realise the benefits of padding and 'cut', you will become more selective! :rolleyes:
Definitely worth it though, and will make a world of difference to your tan lines riding.

Niblox

Bib shorst

Whatever brand you buy, just make sure that the shoulder straps are connected to the bit at the back as high up as possible. If they join the shorts low down, they are constantly coming off your shoulders underneath your jersey and it is really irritating!

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Cheers everyone!! Bit knackered now, could have done with shorts to help cool me today as I did 22miles around in 3 separate trips today.

I like the idea of a flash of colour too, so will look into those. I like the look of the Santini ones but cant see how high on the back they go. I think a high back will aid me a fair bit.

Cheers I'll have a look at a few more tonight.:blush:

Top Bottom