Bibs for larger chaps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
I have just had to return bibs shorts from Le Col and Gore. It's frustrating as the chamois pad felt much more premium than the DHB & Decathlon bibs I currently own. The issue was mainly that the bib itself was cut too low, so whenever I attempted to mimmick mu riding position, it slipped and pushed my gut into an uncomfortable position.

Bit of a niche problem I'm sure, but wondering if any larger cyclists here have any recommendations for bibs that offer a better chamois than mid level shorts, but aren't uncomfortable/poorly sized for the curvier gent?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
https://fatladattheback.com/
cant vouch for them personally but they do get mentioned a lot .

Moodyman

Legendary Member
A lot of cycling kit comes up small. They must think we’re all skinny Italians.

Lusso, despite the Italian sounding name, are based in Manchester and do British sizing.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Altura and Endura probably come up bigger being British brands.
Look at stolen goat sizing too.
Assos do bigger sizes but spendy
Just avoid anything called race or form fit!

Joffey

Big Dosser
I have just had to return bibs shorts from Le Col and Gore. It's frustrating as the chamois pad felt much more premium than the DHB & Decathlon bibs I currently own. The issue was mainly that the bib itself was cut too low, so whenever I attempted to mimmick mu riding position, it slipped and pushed my gut into an uncomfortable position.

Bit of a niche problem I'm sure, but wondering if any larger cyclists here have any recommendations for bibs that offer a better chamois than mid level shorts, but aren't uncomfortable/poorly sized for the curvier gent?

Depends how big you are. I'm 16 1/2 stone atm and XXXL Castelli shorts are comfortable. I've had Fat Lad At The Back jerseys when I was 18+ stone and they were excellent. Never had the shorts, still fitted into the Castelli ones or used DHB.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Endura FS260-Pro are very good. I like ale bibs also but the lighter weight ones are not cut particularly high on the sweep of the front bib part, e.g. gonna depend on the size of your derby...

+1 for FS260-Pro's, very good bibshorts with an excellent pad (IMHO obviously). The front on these sit pretty high, unlike my Castelli's which tend to sit a bit lower, although I still find them comfortable. To give you some idea of sizing for the FS260-Pro's I'm 1.8m tall / 78Kg weight and find medium fits me perfectly.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Thanks all. I'll have a look at the recommendations.

For ref I am 17st (down from 18st in March), and found both Le Col 'Hors Categorie' and Gore 'C7 long distance' shorts (both XXL) to be a great fit everywhere except the front of the bib being too low. The Le Col straps are a little long but not by much, and would have kept them had the front not kept trying to tuck itself under my spare tyre.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sigma have a massive range of mens bibs (mid to high end cost wise), can look at the pics
https://www.sigmasports.com/clothing/shorts?sales_audience_name[]=mens&size_combinations[]=xxl&sort=popularity&p=1
Free delivery and returns too
eg these look to have large tummy coverage (although their XXL only good up to around 105kg according to size guide)
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Black-Sheep-Cycling/Essentials-Team-20-Bib-Short/WKN0

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I'm a fat lad :hello:

Altura bib recommendation here, can't remember the style name of mine but they are 2XL.
I'm 20 stone with a gut, 38" waist and they fit great.
My issues are jerseys, they are always a bit too short at the front and ride up alot.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I seem to remember once making a small tuck in bib straps and stitching the excess lycra into a crease (roughly by the shoulder part at the top of the straps) - thereby shortening the straps and effectively bring the bib dip higher up the torso (gut). Could be worth a try...

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
I seem to remember once making a small tuck in bib straps and stitching the excess lycra into a crease (roughly by the shoulder part at the top of the straps) - thereby shortening the straps and effectively bring the bib dip higher up the torso (gut). Could be worth a try...

Thanks. I'd normally go in for that, but at the price point, it's a gamble that might not pay off. I tried pulling the straps up whilst in a riding position to no avail.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Thanks. I'd normally go in for that, but at the price point, it's a gamble that might not pay off. I tried pulling the straps up whilst in a riding position to no avail.

I meant for any you already have that are too long - worth a try if the alternative is stuffing them to the back of the wardrobe? I agree that if spending hard earned ££ I would want something suitable, off the peg.

Top Bottom