Bicycle disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
My Trek uses mechanically operated resin brake pads. I believe this is because the discs are not made from a hardened material. Resin pads seem quite expensive compared to their sintered cousins so my query is can I simply replace the disc, and would this allow the use of metallic pads or are there other considerations concerning the caliper etc?

I wont be doing anything until the present ones have worn out so there is no panic.

Pauluk

I thought that you could use either. I'm sure I read that the "softer" organic ones worked better but didn't last as long. I've never read anywhere that rotors were limited to certain types of pad but this doesn't mean that they aren't. May be worth giving chainreaction a call or talk with your LBS.

You're right about hardened rotors. Some rotors will have something like "Organic pads only" written on them otherwise they should be suitable for use with sintered pads otherwise yes you can change the disc.

02GF74

Über Member
You're right about hardened rotors. Some rotors will have something like "Organic pads only" written on them .

really - I'ver never come across that (i've had rotors from shimano, avid, magura, formula, hope, kcnc, alligator + others) - not that I am disputing this, just surprised that's all.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Get the sintered ones if you want, but they are noisy and take ages to bed in. Organic pads from superstar are a fiver each and have great stopping power. Unless you ride offroad on millstone grit why bother?

Sintered pads are usually more expensive... Where are you looking for them?

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
@Cubist:
Thanks for the advice.
You may have answered another query I had, are organic pads the same as resin pads?

Cubist

Still wavin'
More than likely. They're made out of compressed fibrous material with bits of copper in them like semi metallic brake pads for cars. You canget Kevlar pads but they wear out really fast.

Top Bottom