Bicycle Doctor - Rusholme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Luiji07

I had posted a thread asking for suggestions for bike shop for me to purchase a new bike seat and the above was mentioned in a few.

I went there on Monday straight after work and the man working there was so unhelpful and then rude

I asked for his opinion on what seat would be best for me as I am looking at starting using my bike to commute
He said it depends on what I want - I advised him I have not got a clue as really new to all this but had received few replies saying i should not get a gel one.

I advised that I had a mountai bike and he pointed at 2 seat that he said would be ok - 1 wide and one normal

I asked which he thought would be best and he told me it depended on my bike and how I have it, whether I have it tilted up and not and then started going on about how it all depended on the bike.
I said I was new to all this and that I had my bike in my car and could I bring it over for him to then advise which one, i said i wasnt even sure if my bike was right heaight etc so not got a clue as to what seat.

He then asked where i got my bike from so I said I bought it second hand - he said that the shop i bought it from should have advised me
I said it was oer a year ago and was not using it to commute so didnt really ask any questions when i bought it
he became very reluctant to assist me any further which I was totally baffled by - so I said well your obviously not interested in assisting me so i will leave it
he then said well if you had bought the bike from here then fine but its not for us to give you advice on a bike you bought elsewhere you should take it back to the shop you got it from

I said I was asking for advcie on what to buy for my bike so reluctantly he said dbring it over but not sure what I can tell you

I was really tempted at this point to just leave but as I had finished work early and gone out of my way to get there i went and got my bike

on returning to the shop the guy was no longer there and another man asked if he could help - i said i was just speaking to someone and waiting for them to come out and look at my bike - so he buzzed the person i was dealing with and asked him to come out front

I was at the door when the guy came out and i heard him say oh you mean the woman with the second hand bike who expects me to come and look at it even though she didnt buy it from here!!

AT this I was definately leaving and told him that he obvioulsy had no interest in assisting me with any purchases and that I was obviously wasting my time and that I was just seeking advice on what to but for my bike and even though I did not buy my bike from them I am still a potential customer and it was a shame he didnt feel it necessary to treat me as such

I then left - so wasted journey all round

It appears that if you do not appear to be spending huge amounts of money then they are simply not interested - funny thing was though I was only looking for accessories for my bike but my partners parents were looking at buying 2 new bikes but will now be taking their custom to somewhere more deservable

so i still have no seat :smile:

deggers

I had posted a thread asking for suggestions for bike shop for me to purchase a new bike seat and the above was mentioned in a few.

I went there on Monday straight after work and the man working there was so unhelpful and then rude

I asked for his opinion on what seat would be best for me as I am looking at starting using my bike to commute
He said it depends on what I want - I advised him I have not got a clue as really new to all this but had received few replies saying i should not get a gel one.

I advised that I had a mountai bike and he pointed at 2 seat that he said would be ok - 1 wide and one normal

I asked which he thought would be best and he told me it depended on my bike and how I have it, whether I have it tilted up and not and then started going on about how it all depended on the bike.
I said I was new to all this and that I had my bike in my car and could I bring it over for him to then advise which one, i said i wasnt even sure if my bike was right heaight etc so not got a clue as to what seat.

He then asked where i got my bike from so I said I bought it second hand - he said that the shop i bought it from should have advised me
I said it was oer a year ago and was not using it to commute so didnt really ask any questions when i bought it
he became very reluctant to assist me any further which I was totally baffled by - so I said well your obviously not interested in assisting me so i will leave it
he then said well if you had bought the bike from here then fine but its not for us to give you advice on a bike you bought elsewhere you should take it back to the shop you got it from

I said I was asking for advcie on what to buy for my bike so reluctantly he said dbring it over but not sure what I can tell you

I was really tempted at this point to just leave but as I had finished work early and gone out of my way to get there i went and got my bike

on returning to the shop the guy was no longer there and another man asked if he could help - i said i was just speaking to someone and waiting for them to come out and look at my bike - so he buzzed the person i was dealing with and asked him to come out front

I was at the door when the guy came out and i heard him say oh you mean the woman with the second hand bike who expects me to come and look at it even though she didnt buy it from here!!

AT this I was definately leaving and told him that he obvioulsy had no interest in assisting me with any purchases and that I was obviously wasting my time and that I was just seeking advice on what to but for my bike and even though I did not buy my bike from them I am still a potential customer and it was a shame he didnt feel it necessary to treat me as such

I then left - so wasted journey all round

It appears that if you do not appear to be spending huge amounts of money then they are simply not interested - funny thing was though I was only looking for accessories for my bike but my partners parents were looking at buying 2 new bikes but will now be taking their custom to somewhere more deservable

so i still have no seat :smile:

I go to withington cycles just a little further down off wilmslow/palatine road. I think its on barlow moor road. Theres two guys there who are dead sound and really helpful. They can get busy but catch them when theyre quiet and they'll chat with you for ages

good luck!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Somebody link this post to Bicycle Doctor. This is inexcusable behaviour. What the hell does it matter where she bought the bike, she was a customer with cash in her pocket and needing advice.

ChristinaJL

That's definately not on!! :angry: My LBS know I buy stuff online and in other shops and they're still prepared to look at my bike and help me out when I need it, even with items I've bought from elsewhere.

robgul

Legendary Member
I've been in there - just the once, I happened to be passing. Never again - surly and rude ... BUT you have to remember that this isn't a commercial business - it's some sort of small-scale co-operative enterprise with perhaps different motivations and attitudes to service and customers - and by the sound of it staff training.

That said - the experienced described by the OP is inexcusable.

Rob

rualexander

Legendary Member
The guy could have certainly been more helpful and friendly, but recommending a saddle is a very difficult task and in many ways it is pot-luck whether you end up with something that is comfortable or torture.

e-rider

crappy member
You will get the same or similar response from many bike shops if you walk in with a new bike you didn't buy there asking for advice. The situation usually improves quickly once they realise that you want to spend some money.

LizardEye

I've just looked at the website.

On home page - "Fancy something different - maybe something a little Surly"

Priceless !

Top Bottom