Bicycle for a stroke victim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
My best mate had a stroke several years ago which left him paralysed down his right side. He can now walk again, although not brilliantly. He does not have a lot of control of his right hand. We have discussed whether he could ride a bike again. I wonder what sort he could ride, considering he is rather a proud man and probably would not want to be seen riding a tricycle.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Recumbent trike? Depends if he could get on / off of it I guess.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I think getting in and out of it might be a problem, although he could do it. I was thinking more along the lines of a granny bike, with a back brake, possibly electrically assisted.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
All that's gone before (Recumbent or upright trike, tandem, tandem recumbent trike if you want) but adding a ping to Dom (@tdr1nka) as he likely has first hand experience of similar situations.

stuee147

im no expert but i would say a recumbent trike, i have a similar problem but its my left arm that iv not got much control over and im building a recumbent trike with just one handed steering, and all the gears and brakes will be on that side and im even making a small storage box come arm rest for my left arm. im toying with the idea of putting the front gear changer on the left as i have enough use to do that lol

Captainwull

I've used a Brompton SL2 for years. When I need to walk a little bit I can lean on the bike and use it as a crutch. If I get a telling off, (eg from security in a mall or a guard in a train station for having it unfolded) I can collapse it but keep the seat raised and use it as a wheeled waking stick. I had the larger easy wheels fitted onto the rack for this.
There not just for commuting around town, I've done very comfortable 40-50 mile rides on it. Being able to fold it makes it great for taking on trains and busses or even just having in the boot of the car when you can't find a disabled parking spot nearby.

davidphilips

Veteran
sorry about your friends stroke,and i know you said he is rather a proud man and probably would not want to be seen riding a tricycle, but i know i would be proud to ride a trike like this on ebay. all anyone can do is make the best of what we have if it means using a trike then use a trike and be proud that we have not let the stroke defeat us, main thing is have fun.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1948-HIGG...435581?hash=item4d4bb1f4fd:g:~WAAAOSwzaJX6Oj1

Attachments

• Desert.jpg
    Desert.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 172

Sharky

Guru
I would be cautious with an upright trike. It can take a lot of strength sometimes to hold a straight line and to ride against the camber of the road.

sorry about your friends stroke,and i know you said he is rather a proud man and probably would not want to be seen riding a tricycle, but i know i would be proud to ride a trike like this on ebay. all anyone can do is make the best of what we have if it means using a trike then use a trike and be proud that we have not let the stroke defeat us, main thing is have fun.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1948-HIGG...435581?hash=item4d4bb1f4fd:g:~WAAAOSwzaJX6Oj1

Very useful,but also a very cool bike.

derekwhite

Hi very interested to read this thread as I am just getting back on my bike following a stroke in October 2017. Starting with mtb before I brave my road bike.

Would be interested if anyone has experience of Quest 88 grip mitt as need something to keep my hand on handlebar. Also does anyone know of a crank arm which slopes out at an angle which will prevent my heel connecting with it as it tends to turn in. Thanks in advance.

Sharky

Guru
Hi very interested to read this thread as I am just getting back on my bike following a stroke in October 2017. Starting with mtb before I brave my road bike.

Would be interested if anyone has experience of Quest 88 grip mitt as need something to keep my hand on handlebar. Also does anyone know of a crank arm which slopes out at an angle which will prevent my heel connecting with it as it tends to turn in. Thanks in advance.
Have a look at highpath engineering. Pedal extenders?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Would SPD pedals and shoes not solve that problem in that they lock the feet to the pedal?
Nice to know you're getting back on the bike.
I also stroked in Oct last year but was lucky in being back on the bike after a couple weeks. Long term effects for me are nagging wobbliness/dizzy spells and that friggin fatigue that won't bugger off.

Top Bottom