Bicycle Indicators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
i have some really good ones, there called hands

byegad

Legendary Member
Usually they are too narrow to be of use in traffic. As Steve52 says hands are good, and reflective gloves better at night.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Your best bet is to stick with your arms.
Other road users don't expect cyclists to be using indicators, and the only mass produced ones are very dim in comparison to indicators used on other vehicles.

OP
OP
Carol C

Carol C

I'll have to keep practising signalling with my left hand! (I'm left-handed by the way) I'm fine when I signal to go right, but to go left, I get Mr Wobble and all his family!! Practise makes perfect, I guess.
Thanks for the advice guys; I appreciate it.

Linford

If you make sure you do all your indication before you come to make the turn, then your hands are back on the bars before you need steering input.

That said, I ride a motorbike and they are very useful on roundabouts if you are needing to change lanes and get stuck at give ways. If they were on the handlebar ends, they would be very visible with no ambiguity due to the narrowness of a cycle.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll have to keep practising signalling with my left hand! (I'm left-handed by the way) I'm fine when I signal to go right, but to go left, I get Mr Wobble and all his family!! Practise makes perfect, I guess.
Thanks for the advice guys; I appreciate it.

Hands work quite well. ^_^ They are also quite good for gesticulating at motorists who get too close - they seem to understand 'back off' sign - might be accompanied by a large amount of screaming though !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They are rubbish and a waste of money.

Agree with the waste of money part, A good look back and arm stuck out normally gets drivers to back off so you can move across. In fact, just a good look back often does the trick and allows you to take the lane in plenty of time to make your intentions clear.

A bit difficult to take hands off bars on a steep downhill towards a turn at a crossroads though, so make your intentions plain sooner, rather than later.

col

Legendary Member
I used to like the idea of them, but on a more detailed thread about them, on here I think some time ago. I wouldnt feel confident that anyone behind me would see my intentions as much as sticking my arm out. Nice Idea, but not something Id go for at the moment.

Top Bottom