Bicycle mania enduro challenge - 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
http://www.bicyclemania.co.uk/
Well I did this event for the first time last year and did it again this year (on Sunday 30 April)
This years course was about 3 miles longer and had about 500 feet more ascent than last years.
I managed to get round again this year and only had to get off and walk on 2 sections. One section is well known to me as it is on one on my regular circuits and is so steep that it is a struggle to walk up it. Some lads managed it but they were much younger and keener then this old boys 52 year old body. The other was a very rough section that I just couldn't keep my speed up enough to stay mounted. It might have been a lot better on a full-susser than my hardtail. I was going well until the last 3 miles or so when cramp in my quads started to set in. I tried to relax the pace a bit, but close to the finish there is a superb bit of single track, and I couldn't help myself and engaged warp drive. Luckily a self motivated drop in pace for a few minutes before this left me some energy to enjoy it. I then coasted the last mile back to the finish. My time was 3h44m, with an average speed of 11mph (0.8 faster than last year) which I thought was decent fo 42 miles and 2500 feet of ascent. I felt fine the day after, a little stiff and slightly sore undercarriage, but essentially OK. Better than I thought I'd be given that I didn't do a lot of preperation as the event this year was a lot earlier than last year and I haven't been out much this year due to weather and lack of spare time. I also only found out about the event the week before. So next year I will find out well in advance the date and get out for a few preparation rides before the event. Good turnout again this year with about 200 entries. It is a well run event and a quite challenging course. So any Lincolnshire based riders (or foreigners from far away lands such as over the water in Yorkshire) want a nice challenge, I recomend it. It certainly dispels any myths that Lincolnshire is flat. Picture is of a sweaty man just finished the ride.

Attachments

• Cyclemania Challenge 2017.jpg
    Cyclemania Challenge 2017.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 67

Flyboy

I did the DFYI winter warm up this year , and I know what you mean about old bones ha ha I am 58 , but managed to get around fine , even hitting some horrendous speeds .

Top Bottom