Bicycle Safety Survey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Some interesting wording there. Is "a lighted bike safety device" the thing that is also known as "a bike lamp"?
Given that their design proposals are all devices which incorporate lights, but are not traditional bike lamps, I think they are including anything which lights up.

Oh. I thought it meant a bike that was on fire.

chupacabra.jpg

Attachments

• chupacabra.jpg
    chupacabra.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 67
Slightly OT, but if these are lights then relevant

Vehicle headlights are focused ad "cut off" by the design of the reflector and lens

This enables a directed beam of greater power without blinding oncoming road users

Bicycle lights are a circular bream that illuminates a whole area of sky and blinds oncoming road users

A few companies such as B&M that do produce these, but they are the exception.

If you design a front lighting system then please look at a filter, focussed beam

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I agree with winjim's observations and would add that the visibility of cyclists is *not* a problem, driver behaviour is: they either fail to look, look but fail to see, or don't give a feck.

But addressing driver behaviour is seen as too big a challenge so people (in this case your ED&D teacher) take the easy way out and pass responsibility to the victims. They turn their back on the problem and look at who's affected by it.

Your offerings are worthless trinkets, all of which have been available for years and do nothing to improve safety in cycling. I wouldn't use them if they were free.

Cycling itself isn't dangerous, you have to look at who/what brings the danger to the road environment and change that.

Despite my lack of interest in your products, I did complete your survey. The question asking "On a scale from 1 to 5 how safe and visible do you feel while cycling?" is badly framed and should be separated into its constituent parts. For example, I am very visible on the roads but feel only moderately safe because, despite my best efforts, drivers still fail to see me. I can't give a single score for these two factors combined.

I appreciate this is a school project and has value in showing you the process of design and development of a product, I just wish your teacher had come up with an idea that would be of practical benefit to cycling.

Have you circulated your survey to those places in Europe where cycling activity is very high, such as Amsterdam?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Question 1: age ranges overlap. Should a 50-year-old tick 40-50 or 50-60?

Question 3: see @glasgowcyclist

Question 4: see @raleighnut - mandatory question but not every cyclist drives.

Question 5: helmets are not a safety device.

Question 6: what the fark is a bicycle safety device? RPG and permission to use it on errant motorists?

Question 7: ranges overlap, like Question 1. Also, it confuses number of times and days - I cycle more than a dozen times a week but not every day, which falls between the gaps.

Question 9 (appearance): mandatory question but I might think it depends.

Idea 1: some wheel lights are legal in the UK, but random ones aren't.

Idea 3: sounds physically impossible unless it can project through legs?

crazyjoe101

what the fark is a bicycle safety device? RPG and permission to use it on errant motorists?
That's the first time I've physically laughed at something on this forum. It brings to mind that picture of that person open carrying their assault rifle on their back whilst riding... only with a loaded RPG slung over their shoulder instead. One certainly would think twice before close passing such a person.

Top Bottom