Bicycle sizing Alpenchallenge 01 Four

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello, i'm new to these forums and would appreciate some advice.

I've decided to buy this for commuting and a bit of leisure: https://www.bike24.com/p2339501.html

Their sizing sheet recommends like this: Rider Height (<168 S) (168-180 m) (178-190 L) (>190 XL)

I'm dead on 190cm in height and was wondering which way to go, L or XL? I have a tall slim build. I've got 2 herniated discs in my lumbar that cause me considerable pain in certain positions and impactful sports. I thought that the hybrid style of bike would be the best for my needs as I don't want to be too far hunched over and i'll be riding strictly on roads. I've also read that if I don't want to be too low down I can flip the stem or buy a high rise bar. Has anyone had a similar experience when choosing bicycles?

Unfortunately, I cant test any out at a bicycle shop because of the current situation and my location. I'll be ordering online.

Thanks for any help.

Sharky

Guru
Generally, if borderline, go for the smaller size. You can always get longer stems and seat posts, but if the frame is too big, you're stuck with it. Some web sites, offer a good returns policy and some even allow you to test ride and send back, so check this aspect out as well before you buy.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Plus one for the above, although you could go larger due to the sloping top tube as your standover should be okay.
That’s a very short stack on there and the position looks quite racy so you’ll leaning forward rather that sitting upright as you would on a more relaxed geometry hybrid with higher bars. They do describe it as a road racing bike. I don’t know how that might affect your back problem but worth thinking about. As always it may be a good idea to actually sit on one

BTW welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

davidrides

Generally, if borderline, go for the smaller size. You can always get longer stems and seat posts, but if the frame is too big, you're stuck with it. Some web sites, offer a good returns policy and some even allow you to test ride and send back, so check this aspect out as well before you buy.

Yes, after more research online, it seems like going smaller is definately the way to go, thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
D

davidrides

Plus one for the above, although you could go larger due to the sloping top tube as your standover should be okay.
That’s a very short stack on there and the position looks quite racy so you’ll leaning forward rather that sitting upright as you would on a more relaxed geometry hybrid with higher bars. They do describe it as a road racing bike. I don’t know how that might affect your back problem but worth thinking about. As always it may be a good idea to actually sit on one

BTW welcome to the forum.

Yes, I have to admit, from the look of the pictures, a less than comfortable riding position did cross my mind. I could test some bikes at the nearest halfords. I thought the general consensus was that, if you want a good, reliable bicycle that lasts a long time, stay away from halfords. I just need a reliable hybrid, that's light and does well on hills. Are the boardman range at Halfords sufficient for what I need? I only ride about 8 miles to work, there and back, plus leisure time. Thanks again.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, I have to admit, from the look of the pictures, a less than comfortable riding position did cross my mind. I could test some bikes at the nearest halfords. I thought the general consensus was that, if you want a good, reliable bicycle that lasts a long time, stay away from halfords. I just need a reliable hybrid, that's light and does well on hills. Are the boardman range at Halfords sufficient for what I need? I only ride about 8 miles to work, there and back, plus leisure time. Thanks again.
Boardman hybrid would be more than sufficient 👍

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Boardman bikes are perfectly fine despite now being an in-house product. The only reason not to go there is that their service and PDI can be very variable.
Have you got a Evans near you? Their own brand Pinnacle bikes get good press on here. You might also like to look at Decathlon who have an excellent range of vfm models including hybrids.
Given your back issue I would say it’s a good idea to at least sit on your prospective mount before shelling out cash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom