Bicycle Stat Survey - 1 Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
curtis dorrington

curtis dorrington

Thanks for all the assistance guys. FYI
I have invented and patented a retro-fit means to secure the quick release at all times without inhibiting its function.
I am currently negotiating with one of the biggest bike lock manufacturers and am dileberating manufacturing myself.
This survey was intended to help my other research in highlighting the market.
There maybe more research as I have some more bicycle related products in the pipe line
Either way if you would like to be kept informed, I am on LinkedIn as Curtis Maurice Dorrington.

Thanks again

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Locking ones sound sensible... off to investigate.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It means you have to carry the key with you and depending on which one, hand it in at the lbs when they work on your bike.
True, but as I carry a lock with me in my saddle bag, keeping the key for the spindles on the keyring with the key to the lock and doorkey wouldn't be a problem.
+ haven't taken a bike to a LBS for a while now.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
2 bikes - type B QR skewers, both bikes ~10 years old.
One bike, no QR, nutted axle probably 20 years old.
2 bikes with Hub gears & 1 of these with a front wheel hub dynamo too - no QR's & the non hub front is a nutted axle (Brompton, new Nov 13).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
True, but as I carry a lock with me in my saddle bag, keeping the key for the spindles on the keyring with the key to the lock and doorkey wouldn't be a problem.
+ haven't taken a bike to a LBS for a while now.
I store mine in my puncture repair kit box, but I thought it was worth mentioning. I have the cheaper, version where it is the same one for lots of bikes so my lbs has the key anyway. So it's not really secure, but stops the opportunist collector of wheels.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Ok Spinney.
I didn't think of that, I am trying to understand how popular each type of QR is as there are no stats online.
I appreciate your response.

I think that no only do you need to know what is the most popular, you need to know why.
Are people simply using what came with the bike/or wheels or making a specific choice in general.

I for example use an exposed type exclusively on my road bike as they are typically the lightest available..
I would not dream of using a quick release of any kind on my MTB in case I snag/catch it on the trail.

Thanks for all the assistance guys. FYI
I have invented and patented a retro-fit means to secure the quick release at all times without inhibiting its function.

If your device holds the wheel securely on the wheel, my concern would be for my frame or hubs.. What are the effects of someone attempting to force the wheel.
It is after all pointless keeping a wheel with a damaged hub,or worse. I am also curious regarding how the frame/forks holds up in such attack situations.

If I am going to leave a bike anywhere I take a lock with me, as such I am curious to know what your device offers over a ropelock passed through the wheels which also acts as a visual deterrent

kryptonite-kryptoflex-seatsaver-25-foot.jpg

OP
OP
curtis dorrington

curtis dorrington

@ Mr Haematocrit

My product fits to the quick release and does not make contact with the bike, it immobilises movement of the lever and the bike can be ridden with my product on. It is a fit and forget mechanism but can be installed and removed quickly providing you have the key.

Right now I cannot divulge much more as I am in discussions with potential lincensor.

Thanks
Curtis

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hi Guys

Also keep an eye on www.quick-caps.com the qr lock will be presented there soon

Thanks
Curtis

Hi Curtis,

The secure qr lock sounds promising and I look forward to seeing it in detail on your site. If you don't mind some feedback about your site, may I suggest you have someone proof-read it to correct the various punctuation, grammar and spelling errors on the 'about' page. It might seem a bit picky of me but I found it difficult to read in places.

Finally, a question about the lock: what happens if I lose my unique key?

GC

OP
OP
curtis dorrington

curtis dorrington

Thanks GC

I have condensed the description on the about page many times as I have used it before where I could use around 200 words.
It is a placeholder and is to be updated. Thanks again for your input.

The lock will be supplied with multiple keys, if you loose all of them I think you would have to contact a locksmith :smile:
Although thinking about it now it maybe pertinent to have a coding system in place so as replacement keys could be ordered.
I will look into that.

Kind regards
Curtis

Top Bottom