Bicycle tech...money for old rope ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
My 8 year old is having a "how to" lesson on maintenance on his bike in the 1/2 term next week, then he can do mine too :whistle:

Mile195

Veteran
I think the worst bit is all the proprietary tools you need. BB tool, cassette lockring tool. Why can't these just be standard? I don't need different screwdrivers to take a PC apart if it's from Dell or IBM
They kind of are standard really. The trouble is that not many people have a cassette lockring tool in their toolbox in the first place. Once it's there, it'll get used again and again though.

MarkF

Guru
Well, when a "tool" box and so many different liquids and appliances are needed to just to clean a bike, no wonder some baulk at actual repairs!

1329927163-83788300.jpg

raindog

er.....
Well, when a "tool" box and so many different liquids and appliances are needed to just to clean a bike, no wonder some baulk at actual repairs!
Surely that's a kit for grooming your dog?

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm beginning to wonder if this is the case...the hardest part is getting the right tools.

Everything I've fettled now seems to be very simple construction on my bike and very easy to work on.

Why does everyone seem to big up all cycle repairs ????

As suggested, I don't think its 'bigging up', rather a feeling of self satisfaction that you can, could or did..do it yourself.
Its just the realisation that many people have no desire to try, no experience or no mechanical ability.
Classic example tonight, ive just run round my sons Peugeot scooter, changed the battery, cleaned the filter and checked various bolts etc...non of it rocket science, none of it requiring special tools.
For me....easy as pie, my son thanked me and said...'I couldn't do that, I wouldn't know where to start' He could, but he's just not, and never will be interested in mechanical stuff.

As an assembly, 90% of a bike is dead simple, its the fine tuning that can be a bit fiddly.

Dan B

Disengaged member
> 90% of a bike is dead simple

True, but ... there are still jobs where a bit of foreknowledge (or access to a manual/the internet) will help immeasurably. Bottom bracket replacement, for example: I've done it six or seven times (not all on the same bike) and I til have to stop and look up which side is the left-hand thread. And on older bikes, where you're not clear e.g. if the seatpost is a tight fit or is actually the wrong size, or ... how many sizes of 1" headset do you know of?

It's conceptually simple, sure. but the difference between working it out from scratch and having seen it before is often the difference between a ten minute job and the same task taking three hours...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I do not build wheels, so to me that is a dark art and I do 'big it up'. The more people tell me it is simpl, methodical and therapeutic, the more convinced I am that it is really a Jedi dark art that I'll never grasp.
It's really simple Boris, I have self taught my wheel building abilities and haven't built a bad wheel yet. They have all died of worn out braking surface, despite my best efforts I haven't managed to finish one off by unnatural means (and I have really tried)

I think the worst bit is all the proprietary tools you need. BB tool, cassette lockring tool. Why can't these just be standard? I don't need different screwdrivers to take a PC apart if it's from Dell or IBM
You cowboy! I bet you think all cross head screws are just Posidriv don't you, or maybe Phillips? I bet a lot of the screws in a laptop or PC are in reality JIS, but you just butcher them all with your cheap Posidriv screwdriver don't you!

Top Bottom