Bicycle travel from US, Ireland, and UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HilMask

I'm planning a trip to cycle from Dublin to London next February (2022). I live in the US and I will fly to Dublin, then fly home from London. During "normal times" I would get a used cardboard box from a bike shop in the US and London to use. But I am worried that I will not be able to get a box in London before I have to fly home. I did a little research into flying over with travel case then shipped the empty case to London, but that sees to be a little expensive.

I thought about trying to find a travel bag that can be carried on my bike while I ride, but I think that will be a pain.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks

IaninSheffield

Veteran
But I am worried that I will not be able to get a box in London before I have to fly home
Can I ask why you're worried?

yello

Could you phone one of the London stores perhaps? Even if only to buy/reserve a bike box. They used to give them away quite happily but I suspect that's changed.

Maybe one of our lovely London based forummers can pop into a store on your behalf?

classic33

Leg End Member
I was planning on taking the ferry. Are there any issues, other than weather delays?
Just check and get it confirmed that the ferry will actually allow bicycles on as a vehicle, and not require it to be packed.

The weather shouldn't be a problem, bar for the fast ferry.

Not sure why you're worried either.
Some airports sell bike boxes (cardboard), some airlines will accept a bag and if you look on YouTube you'll find all kinds of inspiration where people made up their own "box".

Make sure you check out the US side of things. I've read some stories of the TSA? throwing out stoves etc. or wrecking boxes so that onward travel is a PITA.

Good luck!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
When we were doing the day trips years back, Stenaline had bike racking they put out on one sailing, on the return our bikes were stored in a stevedore mess room kinda place.

I usually carry foam pipe insulation but have used boxes from bike shops. You need ducktape and a knife so make sure that security at the airport will accept the package before handing over your packing tools to luggage or carry disposable knife. Some security people want to inspect water bottles. Some airports have smaller scanners that cannot take a comple bike size.
Of the London airports, Stanstead is probably the easiest to use and the railway station has several nearby bike shops.

OP
OP
H

HilMask

Thank you for y'all's response. At this point I am only doing research. Please let me know if anyone knows of a bike shop where I could get a box.

Thanks for the help.

It gets loaded onto a bus, as luggage, and you go on as a foot passenger.
Irish Ferries at least, Stena can vary, although both let you book a bike on.

Things might change as a result of the last 16 months. Ulysses is considered too big to safely ride on and off.
It's three years now but they let me ride on in Holyhead going to Dublin after offering me the bus. (Stena)
It was the same in Belfast going to Scotland - I was supposed to go on a bus with passengers but they let me ride on. What I thought was odd was that all passenger baggage got screened, Airport style, but with the bike I was directed around it!

Top Bottom