Bicyclists of a Feather Flock Together

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aushiker

Über Member
Bicyclist-watching has become much more interesting in recent years as the number of two-wheeled riders has grown. High gas prices, better bicycles, concern about the environment, looking cool—they're all contributing factors. And with proliferation has come specialization. People don't just "ride" bikes anymore: They commute or race or cruise, with each activity spawning corresponding gear and attitudes. Those in the field categorize cyclists into groups known as "bike tribes." Instead of ducks, hawks and water fowl, bicyclologists might speak of Roadies, Cyclocrossers and Beach Cruisers.

To identify a bike tribe, note distinguishing marks, patterns and habits. Start with the dominant color and materials of a cyclist's clothing. For example, garish jerseys and Lycra shorts indicate a Roadie, while padded gloves, mud-spattered jackets and black cleats are the territory of Cyclocrossers. Migration patterns are revealing. Observe the speed of travel and the treatment of other cyclists. Does the cyclist insist on riding amid cars even when wide bicycle paths are available? Probably a Roadie. Is the cyclist out in the pouring rain? Sounds like a Commuter. The presence of juveniles is telling, too; only a few tribes travel with offspring.

OD-AT526A_BIKE__OZ_20120920145037.jpg

More at the Wall Street Journal ...

So which "bird" are you? :smile:

Andrew

Sandra6

Veteran
A commuting cruiser with roadie aspirations???

trampyjoe

'Utility' apparently. Use the bike for nearly everything now (off to the recycling center on the way to the toddler group later!).

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'd have to go with utility. I use my bike to get where I'm going and adapt it for various purposes. A trailer for the tip and panniers for the shops. It just seems to be the most sensible transport for a lot of journeys. I'm sorting out a road bike as well but that's more like a mid life crisis sort of thing.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
"Black cleats"?.

I have to worry about the colour of my cleats now for fear of becoming a cyclecrosser

sigh...off to the LBS at lunchtime for me then... I wonder if they do them in blue?

Top Bottom