Bifocal cycling glasses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My LBS has suggested the opticians down the road from his shop
not proper cycling glasses but apparently they sometimes do the old buy on get one free offer so I could get a normal varifocal
plus a single focus for cycling in more appropriate frames to protect from grit, flies, stones, rocks, ducks, geese and all that stuff

T4tomo

Guru
I just ride in regular varifocals, in either regular or tinted (sunglasses) form.

"cycling" glasses aren't really a magic thing.

I would prefer something a bit more wrap-around - I have had a couple of time when something got round my normal glasses

and some of the boulders that hit my normal glasses have been worrying - so I would prefer a single vision armour plated version for cycling

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would prefer something a bit more wrap-around - I have had a couple of time when something got round my normal glasses

and some of the boulders that hit my normal glasses have been worrying - so I would prefer a single vision armour plated version for cycling
Very understandable! My experience...
I bought my first pair of cycling glasses because I was fed up of my eyes streaming on fast descents.

I went out for a ride that evening and came to a section of road which had just been resurfaced and was covered with loose chippings. There were temporary 20 mph speed limit signs at the road side but a moronic driver decided to ignore them and overtake me at about 50 mph.

I saw a stone projectile coming straight at my face and flinched as it smashed into the centre of one of the lenses of my new glasses. It cracked the lens but my eye was protected. Bloody annoying to have the glasses damaged after less than 1 hour's use, but rather them than my eye! :eek:

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
The stick on lenses arrived yesterday, their not bad just a little fuzzy. Tried them on my clear rap around glasses. One lens kept falling out, probably user fault. I'll have to practise some more before going out riding with them.

The photochromic ones came today, got them through "the cycle store". Their made by BZ optics, fantasticly clear and well made. Now I can actually see what the wahoo is showing. Thanks for all the help.

I rinse the lenses in hot water and that makes them a bit more flexible and they stick really well in my glasses.

Chislenko

Veteran
Don't know how much you want to spend but I got proper wrap around Oakleys made to my prescription..(short sighted)

Thankfully my prescription hasn't changed the past ten years so despite being quite expensive up front they have worked out quite reasonable in the long run.

scoobs

Regular
Don't know how much you want to spend but I got proper wrap around Oakleys made to my prescription..(short sighted)

Thankfully my prescription hasn't changed the past ten years so despite being quite expensive up front they have worked out quite reasonable in the long run.
Where from please? I require bi/varifocals. Have only tried the insert type and don’t much like them.

Chislenko

Veteran
Where from please? I require bi/varifocals. Have only tried the insert type and don’t much like them.

When I bought them I did it online, you picked the glasses you wanted and supplied them your prescription.

Certain opticians will do it for you but they will take a cut.

simongt

Guru
The issue I have is when I've been on organised audax rides, as I'm at that age where my close vision needs specs, but I still have very good distance vision without. Thus, reading the route directions on the handlebars and also looking where I'm going is quite an interesting focus change which as one gets older doesn't happen as fast as it used to - ! :laugh:

The issue I have is when I've been on organised audax rides, as I'm at that age where my close vision needs specs, but I still have very good distance vision without. Thus, reading the route directions on the handlebars and also looking where I'm going is quite an interesting focus change which as one gets older doesn't happen as fast as it used to - ! :laugh:
Same as me. The stick in lenses are perfect.

Venod

Eh up
I have some photochromic varifocals from Optilabs, they are OK but not as good as my Specsavers of the same specification, so at my last prescription appointment I got some sports sunglasses with varifocal lenses, these are now my go to glasses for cycling.

Top Bottom