Big bottles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
I've been buying Elite MaxiCorsa 950ml bottles but are there any others out there I should consider?

I vaguely remember seeing some ~1L bottles in Decathlon, are they any good?

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Following with interest. Normally use 750ml but would go larger...

a.twiddler

Veteran
Bought some 850ml translucent ones from ALDI some time ago as they were cheap enough (complete with plastic cages) which I've not started using until recently. They're not glamorous but they seem tough, the lids don't leak, and the valve on top seems durable. Probably not as nickable as branded ones, either. Unless "Bikemate" has developed some inverted status amongst some coterie of urban bikers!

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
PlanetX used to do a 1L selcof bottle that I bought two of for around £3 each in a sale or clearance. They dont do it anymore sadly.

Its always so hard to find a bottle that doesnt leak.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
The SiS ones seem decent, I have a couple and they've not let me down.
Polar opposite experience here. The seal between the bottle and cap is very poor and leaks - 4 different bottles, different batches, same issue. Would advise to steer away, unless you don't mind a leaky bottle.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
My mistake. It wasnt Selcof bottles i was thinking of but Zefal Magnums I picked up alongside the Selcofs that planetX still stock.

Prices can vary between £3-6. They are decent bottles. They are ever so slightly leaky but dont leak as much as SiS bottles. I assume the bottles will get more leaky over time as the rubbers and plastics start to degrade but you'll get a few years use out of it before they get to that point.

There are two sizes of magnums i believe. 950ml and a 1000ml.

I share the opinion of the commenter above. I wont touch SIS bottles because they are too leaky (Ive owned and went through about 4 of them. I use them for cleaning the bathroom now. The nozzle is great at directing jets of soapy water at things.) Ideally, I wish Camelback did a 1000ml podium bottle but they only go up to 710ml (i would even take a 950ml)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Yeah 2x950ml is almost 20% more than 2x800ml, just means you can go further without having to stop or refill. I appreciate not everyone can fit big bottles comfortably in their frame and get them in and out of the cage, I've got a pretty big bike, even saw someone with a wee bike once who had to have their second 500ml bottle underneath the downtube!

I'll have a look at the Zefal, but the Elite MaxiCorsa have actually been pretty good, never leaked, good caps and I like that they are see-through because it makes my Ribena look like red diesel.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
By strange coincidence, I got 4 of the one litre zefal magnum bad boys delivered today (from sjs, I don't use Amazon)

20230605_192821.jpg

They seem decent.

presta

Guru
I have a set of these SIS ones which are fine.
Polar opposite experience here. The seal between the bottle and cap is very poor and leaks - 4 different bottles, different batches, same issue. Would advise to steer away, unless you don't mind a leaky bottle.
Are you pushing the nozzle all the way home. The last ~1mm of travel has extra resistance as the seal closes, and it won't seal unless it goes all the way.

Zefal Magnum Bottle, Black, 975ml https://amzn.eu/d/emJm9x1
Previously I had a set of Zefal Magnums (the 2002 design) for about 15 years, but the nozzles never did seal properly when they were 'open', so the water came out of the side as well as the end, and all over my face unless I put the whole nozzle in my mouth and not just the tip.

If you don't want the nuisance, check there's enough clearance for a large bottle to fit without fouling on the mudguard, they won't fit on mine without this extension bracket for the cage mount:

1685994578386.jpeg

gcogger

That's odd, I've never noticed mine leaking. I just grabbed a couple and filled them up, and I can't detect any leaks. I guess I don't store them upside-down or sideways in a bag, so it's possible there could be small leaks if left like that for long enough.
I do, on the other hand, have a leaking Zefal bottle, as well as the cheap Halfords ones.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I received the two Zefal 975ml bottles, and while they look and feel nice, the rubbery spout doesn't always stay open when I'm trying to drink from it, it's too easy for it to move back into a half-closed position. So on reflection, while I'll use them I wish I'd just ordered two more of the Elite Maxi Corsa, the tops feel a bit more heavy duty and just do the job.

Top Bottom