Big Hair and Helmets!?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gemfer

Regular
Sorry I'm a newbie so I maybe under or over thinking this.

I can't have a high pony tail or bun as helmet will not permit, so are there special helmets that allow you to have a ponytail or low bun.

I appreciate not every member may have an afro or big hair but do you just squash the hair in as tightly as you can or do you just go up a helmet size!?!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Sorry I'm a newbie so I maybe under or over thinking this.

I can't have a high pony tail or bun as helmet will not permit, so are there special helmets that allow you to have a ponytail or low bun.

I appreciate not every member may have an afro or big hair but do you just squash the hair in as tightly as you can or do you just go up a helmet size!?!
I believe there is an aperture at the back where a pony tail should fit through.

Last edited by a moderator:

vickster

Legendary Member
Some women’s helmets are more pony tail friendly than others, might just be a matter of looking at reviews?
Velovixen are really good and helpful, maybe take a look at their site and ping them a message.
https://www.velovixen.com/

Velovixen also have a super active Facebook page, if you apply to join through their website. I’m sure someone on there would have a suggestion.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I have long hair, but I just twist it up, and trap it under my helmet generally.

I find using a clip or tie on it feels lumpy.

Not sure how easy it is to thread hair through any special ponytail apertures.

Sounds awkward and potentially painful - others may find different - I don't have very thick hair either.

You just need to keep your clip handy for when you take your helmet off.

Life has been made much easier since the advent of those dials that loosen or tighten the helmet band. So it's no problem to expand or contract the helmet size slightly.

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
Have a look at a female pro race on TV (think one of the Belgian classics on Eurosport this weekend), see what helmets they are wearing.

Many of them have long hair when they are pictured without a helmet.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My wife and daughter both tie ther hair into a low, loose ponytail so the hair band/ knot sits below the harness at the back. It's quite tricky to do a high ponytail with most helmets now, even if there was a channel in the shell there's often the MIPS type cradle sitting lower on the skull than the helmet itself. And no really useful gap in between.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
This helmet fits the bill. You can fit 3 ponytails through it. This picture seems to indicate that the helmet perhaps has a rating system for the quality of you ponytail too...

Staggering technology...

ponytail-helmet-jpg.jpg

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It's only the buff worn as a headband that makes it acceptable for me to go out these days - otherwise my hair frightens passers-by!

And that's what the dial on the helmet is for - to adjust depending on the thickness of the buff underneath.

Well you must have very sensitive residents in your neighbourhood Anne :laugh:

You could ride around our neighbood with elephants ears attached to your helmet and barely draw a glance from passersby ^_^

OP
OP
Gemfer

Gemfer

Regular
Some women’s helmets are more pony tail friendly than others, might just be a matter of looking at reviews?
Velovixen are really good and helpful, maybe take a look at their site and ping them a message.
https://www.velovixen.com/

Velovixen also have a super active Facebook page, if you apply to join through their website. I’m sure someone on there would have a suggestion.
Thanks I will check out the site.

Top Bottom