Big mileage = big maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Just replaced the chain on my bent, the rear cassette, and put the disc back on now. 310 links of KMC bling bling gold, and an 11-23 ultegra cassette.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
:biggrin:

Big Mileage = Big clean.
A FNRttC and a 2 hour clean of the bike this morning

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i agree. the high mileage on a brommie is definately more cleaning. weird things found in the derailleur system, lots of bits of glass micro-baubles. they jam up the system. week after week i find these little buggers.

chains don't last as long in the city. about 50% less i reckon. tyres are taking more of a hammering as well.

i used to read about people taking glass out of tyres and wondered what they meant. now i know, omg marathon plus can carry a lot of glass shards.

where does it all bloody come from?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
where does it all (glass) bloody come from?

Car stereo thiefs or p1ssheads on a Friday night.

D

Deleted member 1258

Moodyman said:
where does it all (glass) bloody come from?

Car stereo thiefs or p1ssheads on a Friday night.

Possibly. I have been using Bontrager Race Lite Hardcases for the last few months, the rear one on my fixed, used mainly for commuting, has started to gain a collection of small cuts, which is not surprising as when I do my weekly check there's always a few small pieces of glass that need removing. As others have said where does it all come from? I don't ride in the gutter, I go round any broken glass I see and I only ride on the road.

Tynan

Veteran
deedy, simple wear and tear from year round riding on bad roads, loads od braking, accelerating and slowing

brake blocks and tyres alone, I did a few sharp stops last week, I had a dream that I had a flat spot on the nearly new rear tyre

Don't know if it still goes on but glass was being added to tarmac (old article here). I seem to remember glass manufacturers complaining about it as it then takes them something in the order of 10 times the amount of energy to create new glass than to recycle.

Jezston

Über Member
My bike, post insurance replacement is what maybe 3-5 months old. Chap in LBS said my chain is at three quarters already.

I'm not sure I understand what that means exactly to be honest :ohmy:

BigSteev

ianrauk said:
:ohmy:

Big Mileage = Big clean.

I spent that long cleaning mine and I didn't even make it to the start of the FNRttC!

longers

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
I had a dream that I had a flat spot on the nearly new rear tyre

I dreamt last week that my rims were thin enough to be pushed in by hand.
I am waiting for new wheels so it's not unexpected but I did decide to ride on them.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
ianrauk said:
:laugh:

Big Mileage = Big clean.

+1 I used to do a big clean even 120 miles, that USED to be eveyr 2 weeks, I am now doing 120 miles a week, MUCH more BIG cleaning time now lol

This doesnt help my OCD

Top Bottom