Bigger cogs!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Help please. I'm suffering from "can't get up the hills" syndrome!
Have a Shimano 105 10 speed 11-28. Thinking of fitting a SLX 11-36 with a suitable SLX Long cage RD.
Any thoughts on that set-up? Any ideas on a combination more efficient/cheaper welcomed. Having developed a very high standard of sloth, possible weight differences not really an issue!
Thank you.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I cheat and have a granny ring up front (A triple).
I can probably lose it now I am King of the Mountains.

You probably need only add a couple of teeth (32) to get some advantage, which might negate changing the cage.

OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
I cheat and have a granny ring up front (A triple).
I can probably lose it now I am King of the Mountains.

You probably need only add a couple of teeth (32) to get some advantage, which might negate changing the cage.
In real terms, can you gain an appreciable advantage moving from a 28 to a 32?

nappadang

Über Member
Before buying a road bike, I borrowed one from a friend. It had a 11/28 cassette which caused me to struggle up a couple of our local lung burners.
My casette is 11/30 and there is a noticeable difference.

lpretro1

You won't be able to use a 36 on road bike set-up - max is 32t with Shimano 105 5700 or 5800 long-cage RD & 50/34t compact up front

OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
What are you running up front?
I have a 50-34 compact. My problem is that I can now produce relatively little power in my legs so rely on "spinning". Hence my quest to find the bet combination.

OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
Thanks for all your help. I am slowly realising that my query has been discussed before but, as a "new boy" I'm learning to navigate the site for earlier posts!
I'll get there eventually!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My first road bike had a 50/39/30 chainring with a 12-28 cassette. Fed up with walking up steep hills, I replaced the 30 tooth chainring with a 28 tooth. It was against the rules according to the Shimano 105 technical documents but it worked fine. I think the chainring cost about £12 from Spa Cycles. It made things a lot better. I don't know if you can fit a smaller chainring to your compact, but it's worth looking into.

Top Bottom