Bigger granny please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bigjim

bigjim

Legendary Member
Hi again BigJim ('He's big and he's called Jim'). Fust thing fust, chill dood! No-one's picking on you...this is just a bit of playground argy-bargy. No harm done, none intended.
Hi Swee-'pea
I love a good sense of humour and will bat it out with anybody. Just thought the guy was getting a little bit too much. Been picking for a couple of days now. Had some brilliant helpful info on here off some nice people and would not like anybody to be put off posting by somebody deliberately looking for an argument. This guy has also been having a go by PM. Take the p as much as you like, thats fine but lets keep it lighthearted.

Thanks for all the help. Jim

peanut

GilesM said:
Bigjim, just a few points on this, some people have suggested putting on a smaller inside chainring, however this may not be possible, the standard on many chainsets in the 80s was 42 smallest ring, however I could be wrong, it will depend on the type of chainset, best to check before you go down this route.

Putting on a freewheel with bigger sprockets is the obvious solution, however somebody (mickle I think) has already mentioned concerns about whether the rear mech can actual handle a bigger sprocket, it looks like it may have a maximum of around 24 teeth, and to really make a difference to your lowest gear I think you would need a 28 tooth largest sprocket, however you could try it, it could work.

Again with the chain, you could try it, but if it's done more than a few hundred miles I expect it would slip with a new freewheel, at best run a bit rough, and as already mentioned, the old chain may be too short.

The freewheel will need a lot of force to remove it, the bench vice method is the best way, but a long spanner is okay.

I wouldn't bother with splitting the freewheel, lots of work and you could end up with a mixture of new and worn sprockets on the same freewheel, then no chain will work with it.

Finally, when you remove the chain, you'll have to split it, if you just remove a freewheel jockey wheel you can't remove the chain from the rear triangle.

IHTH

Giles

blimey Giles your comments are like the kiss of death to a project :eek:. If we always start with the premise that something might not be possible the chances are we'd never start anything:biggrin:

Gimme some of them `positive vibes' man:biggrin:

80's chainsets were generally 130BCD and the smallest chainring that fits is 38t they cost about 9.99 and would be by far the cheapest option and best bang for bucks

GilesM

Legendary Member
peanut said:
blimey Giles your comments are like the kiss of death to a project ;). If we always start with the premise that something might not be possible the chances are we'd never start anything:biggrin:

Gimme some of them `positive vibes' man:biggrin:

80's chainsets were generally 130BCD and the smallest chainring that fits is 38t they cost about 9.99 and would be by far the cheapest option and best bang for bucks

I didn't think it was that negative:blush:, just a few words of caution, if it was me, I'd just try different things and see what works, and fix what doesn't, but when others ask, I think it helps to point out areas where they could have problems, certainly don't want to put anyone off working on their bike or enjoying their cycling:bicycle:

Top Bottom