bigger ring on new cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twinks

Über Member
I took my bike into LBS for new cassette as he advised to improve gear changing. He asked me if I wanted same set up or maybe a lower gear. It is a triple. Initially I said no its fine how it is. I am a novice and don't have a great understanding of these things. Anyhow I decided to ring him and discuss some more. What I want my bike for is long distance rides mostly around the Peak District where I live....so lots of hills (you never know I may one day decide to try Winnats pass:laugh: but also longer rides in flatter areas of the country. At my age any help I can get is welcome :rolleyes:. So.... decided to go ahead with his suggestion. Do you think this was the right decision? Will it compromise anything else? Sorry if its a numpty question just don't have the experience. Thanks.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
If you're having trouble scaling the hills then yes, it's a good suggestion. The trade off is a possible lower top speed, depending on how fast you go anyway and, perhaps, a difference in the speeds in your various gears. Swing your choice to need :okay:

Onyer

The range of gearing depends on the size of your largest and smallest chain rings combined with your largest and smallest cassette. I have a combination of 52/36 chainrings with 11-32 cassette. So this gives a high gearing of 128 (with combination of 11 and 52) and a low gearing of 30 (with 36 and 32).

If your triple has rings of 50/39/34 and a cassette of 12-28 you would have high gearing of 113 and low of 33. As you can see I have a larger range than your set up, but I am guessing on your set up though. If you let us know what you have we could give some better advice. The advantage your set up has over mine is a more even spread in the mid range area. Hope this helps.

jack smith

Veteran
Aslong as you still have an 11t cog max speed wont be effected ive got a 11-32 so the easiest possible gear for climbing and the fastest for the flats and decents. I like the lager spacing between it too where as my 12-25 cassette feels like im not even changing gear which is horrible.

OP
OP
T

Twinks

Über Member
Thanks. Chainrings are 50/39/30. Got it back today, new cassette is 11/30, old one was 11/27. Have tackled the toughest climb I have locally where I do need the very bottom gear for a short spell and I would say it was just a tad easier. Don't often need that but it's nice to have it living where I do.

Onyer

Thanks. Chainrings are 50/39/30. Got it back today, new cassette is 11/30, old one was 11/27. Have tackled the toughest climb I have locally where I do need the very bottom gear for a short spell and I would say it was just a tad easier. Don't often need that but it's nice to have it living where I do.
OK, your highest gear has not changed - it is 123. Your lowest gear has gone from 30 to 27. As you have found out your climbing is easier and your top speed will not be affected. Happy cycling!

Top Bottom