biggest discount on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
You know that really annoying feeling when you are in the pool, having jetted off to foreign climes and then the person next to you asks how much you paid and you know this will be followed by him revealing he paid x amount less than you did? Well I bought a new bike the other day from a well known high st dealer and using various discounts I paid £520 instead of RRP £899. Just been on their website and read a review where the owner of the same bike reckons he paid only £360! Now I have wanted this bike for ages and have kept an eye on the price for over a year and it has never come down to anything like the price this reviewer reckons he paid so have comforted myself by telling myself he is either talking b*ll*cks or has mistakenly reviewed the wrong bike. But anyway enough of my sour grapes, what is the biggest discount anyone has ever legitimately got on a new bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
Does it matter if you got the bike you wanted at the price you were happy to pay? I'm pretty sceptical about Halfords RRPs, no one ever needs to pay the full amount, they have some sort of promotion or other every week, so you could argue it was never a £900 bike!

vickster

Legendary Member
Does the OP know what additional discounts this other person allegedly got however? Or perhaps on C2W?

mvteng

Without meaning to make you even more upset.

Evans cycles have a deal with vitality healthcare to give you 50% back on your bike buying price, so my bike started at £750. Reduced to £600 in last years sale & then 50% cashback means it effectively cost me £300.

Can't complain at that.

outlash

also available in orange
Does it matter if you got the bike you wanted at the price you were happy to pay? I'm pretty sceptical about Halfords RRPs, no one ever needs to pay the full amount, they have some sort of promotion or other every week, so you could argue it was never a £900 bike!

Bit like DFS and their 'sales'. I bought my cross bike at a decent price as it was the previous year's model, a week later the retailer dropped the price by a further £50. You pays your money....

vickster

Legendary Member
Bit like DFS and their 'sales'. I bought my cross bike at a decent price as it was the previous year's model, a week later the retailer dropped the price by a further £50. You pays your money....
This is why I like John Lewis, if bricks & mortar competitor or they drop price in 28 days, you can apply for refund of the difference :smile:

outlash

also available in orange
Never knowingly undersold.....

Tomtrumps

Biggest discount? Bought a £1,000 bike on the bike to work scheme, reduced to £900, so £540 after tax (ignoring the BIK after three years). Anyway, made one payment of £50 net, my company was then bought and almost a year later, haven't paid another penny. There are a few of us in the same boat so after reminding them a few months ago, still not heard anything. Keeping my fingers crossed the bike remains at a 95% discount...:whistle:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
£400 on my Koga World Traveller. It took 3 months of begging at the Lbs to get the discount. I think it was a sympathy sale.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You can get some quite big discounts if you buy last year's model in December or January. My last two bikes had a RRP of £999 and were reduced to £750 and £650 if I remember correctly. If you leave it too late, they tend to be completely sold out and you're snookered

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Biggest discount? Bought a £1,000 bike on the bike to work scheme, reduced to £900, so £540 after tax (ignoring the BIK after three years). Anyway, made one payment of £50 net, my company was then bought and almost a year later, haven't paid another penny. There are a few of us in the same boat so after reminding them a few months ago, still not heard anything. Keeping my fingers crossed the bike remains at a 95% discount...:whistle:

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I got my defy0 ultegra for £674 after tredz reduced the bike to £799 for 3 days, which overlapped with the TDF offer which
knocked another £125 during the first weekend of the event.

best this was the defy 1 105 didn't have a reduction so would have cost £774 even with the tdf offer

Top Bottom