Bike advice -intend on going for Merida Cyclocross 500-

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ovidiu

Hello everyone,

I would like to buy a bike and currently I have my eye on Merida Cyclocross 500, hopefully I can get a bit of advice see if i'm making the right decision.

I would like to buy a Merida Cyclocross 500 2016 -£999.99- (i think this edition has just came out - compared to 2015: it is a different colour, has a Shimano RS500 46-36 crankset instead of FSA Gossamer 46-36 Mega, KMC chain instead of FSA)

Purpose: Ride road and gravel, so I think this cope with both types of terrain (probably slick tyres for road use).

Pluses for the Merida -compared to main competitors-:
+Front 15mm thru axle
+Tapered fork
+105 Shimano transmission
+Internal cable routing
+Colour - i think it looks nice
Minuses:
-relatively expensive (£999.99 - I can currently see it available at 2 uk stores that have no offers)
-unknown hubs manufacturer
-bit heavy, but decent considering the price range

If possible I would like to hear your opinion about this bike, if you think other bikes are better (considering what i wrote above and limit of £1000) please do tell.

Thank you,
Ovidiu.

vickster

Legendary Member
Once comes out, why not go to your local Merida dealer and see what deal can be done. You may not save on the bike, but most local shops will duck in or discount some bits and bobs to sweeten the deal :smile:

In the meantime, you need to test ride the bike if at all possible, and other contenders within the same type of bike, there are probably another dozen options to look at from larger (giant, Cannondale, trek) and smaller manufacturers (cube, forme, focus) alike

Can it take a std luggage rack? It would make a great tourer and it would be a shame to exclude touring as a potential application, for want of a few threaded eyelets.

OP
OP
O

Ovidiu

Hello guys,

Thank you for replying so quickly.

In the thread order:
1.I don`t have a Merida dealer around me(Coventry), but I managed to test the CycloCross 500 2015MY, in a smaller size than the one I need (tested 54cm and i need 59cm -height 187cm/inseam-91cm/lowerleg-59cm). I liked it a lot.
2.From the technical point of view I think the Merida is best equipped in this price range. Looked at other producers and generally I find them less well equipped.
3.I don`t think I'll ever use a luggage rack, I don`t plan trips more than 1 day long, and for those I will use a backpack (had MTB's until now).

Big thanks Vickster and Michael. Other suggestions are welcomed.
Ovidiu.

OP
OP
O

Ovidiu

Hello Vickster,

Actually when I said there is no dealer around me I was a bit lazy and looking in a small circle :smile:.
Tomorrow I'll visit one of the stores and see if they can help and maybe delvier the bike.

Thanks for the info!

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do they need to deliver the bike if they are less than 20 miles away, you can ride it home!

Wafer

Veteran
The 2014 version was on my internet researched short list last year because the spec looked good compared to similar priced bikes. Couldn't find a lbs that did merida and would reply to my queries to see if they had one though.

Looked a nice bike and people seem to like their roadier models.

OP
OP
O

Ovidiu

Hello,

Today I went to Albany Cycles and i liked to support from the guy at the shop so I ordered the Cyclocross 500 2016. Bike will be size 56cm and we'll make a fitting next week see how it feels.

Thanks guys.

Top Bottom