Bike Advice Please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Hi All,

Trying to solve a bike buying conundrum on my son's behalf.

We bought him a Carrera TDF last year, as an introduction to road cycling (mainly to use as a bit of cross-training for his rowing and sculling). As the cycling was only a side issue at the time we didn't want to shell out a ridiculous amount of money on a posh bike that might have been ridden a couple of times and then sat collecting dust in the garage.

Of course, one thing we didn't consider was the incredible growth spurt my son might have had! The Carrera was a 54cm frame, which at the time looked as though it would allow for a bit of growth, but he has literally shot up. I adjusted his saddle to the maximum yesterday, but the length of the frame is also now an issue.

He seems to be getting in to his cycling a bit more as well, so we thought a bit of an upgrade might be due anyway.

I have been highly delighted with my Felt F95, which I purchased last September and value for money is fantastic. Mine is a 58cm frame, which now seems just about right for my son (unsurprisingly, as he's reached the same height as me). I recommended the Felt to him, as Merlin still have it at a good price, but being a typical teenager, he doesn't like the idea of riding the same bike as his old man.

I've been searching the net a bit and have found a MEKK Pinerolo AL ZR for £314.99 (RRP £549.99). It all looks pretty good, although it is still only 16 speed, the same as his Carrera. The rest of the spec seems like a step up on the TDF, with alu frame, carbon fork, Saturae finishing kit etc. The only slight fly in the ointment is it has Microshift shifters and front mech, which most people seem to have real downer on! I have no experience of Microshift, so is anyone able to suggest why this system is not highly regarded please?

If anyone is inclined to look at the relative merits of the Felt F95 for £395.00 from Merlin versus the MEKK Pinerolo at £314.99 from Rutland Cycling, I'd really appreciate your input.

Alternatively, if anyone has found any other killer deals for up to £400.00 I'd love to know about them.

Thanks in advance for any tips you might be able to give

vickster

Legendary Member
These are back in stock at Merlin and a stonking deal. Be quick though, been sold out for months. Carbon fork, Claris, Mavic wheels

http://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-performance-pr7-road-bike-73113.html

Most budget bikes have 16 gears. Otherwise, look for a second hand deal

Edit: Decathlon with Sora £430 http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-road-bike-id_8306944.html

Review of the Merlin http://road.cc/content/review/134131-merlin-performance-road-pr7

Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Nothing wrong with Microshift. I'm sure a few guys on here have them and I don't see any complaints. It's Shimano compatible too.

Sharky

Guru
Hi there, can I ask what heights you both are? Some of the Carreras @ 54 cm seem to cater for people up to 6' 2".
Cheers Keith

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Hi there, can I ask what heights you both are? Some of the Carreras @ 54 cm seem to cater for people up to 6' 2".
Cheers Keith
Hi Keith,

Yeah, we're both just about 6' 2". The 54cm TDF is now at it's maximum seatpost extension (limit marker is just visible out of the seat tube), but the length of the frame is also becoming an issue. I guess we could buy a longer seatpost and stem, but that then starts to mess with the geometry.

I'm about as far from a bike snob as it would be possible to get, but having ridden my son's Carrera there is no doubting it lacks the general quality feel and zippiness of my Felt. We paid £329.00 for the TDF (down from an alleged £600.00, although I would struggle to justify that kind of money for it). The Felt for £365.00 from Merlin (down from £599.00) definitely represents better value for money in my humble opinion. The Carrera has been good for my son, I have nothing against it for what it cost us, and I probably wouldn't be looking to upgrade just yet if it wasn't for the size issue.

Colnago Master

Why?
If a child grows his legs get longer so the saddle needs to move back to keep his knee joint over the pedal axle.
This is exactly what riders do so they can ride a smaller and therefore lighter and stiffer frame.
It's the equililant of buying a bigger frame.

Citius

This is exactly what riders do so they can ride a smaller and therefore lighter and stiffer frame.
It's the equililant of buying a bigger frame.

No it isn't. Saddle setback is used as a way of setting your position over the BB axle, as you already pointed out. Assuming we both agree on that, you cannot then suggest it as a way of increasing reach. You can't have it both ways.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Some Pros ride a frame that is too small for them. They have a huge saddle-bar drop to get more aero and fit an immensely long stem to sort the reach.

Don't apply that to someone who isn't actually racing, get a bike of the correct size.

Top Bottom