bike advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crackers

Regular
been looking for a new bike, come across the rt 57 ultegra, at planet x, has anyone got one, or any views on this bike,any
advice welcome

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome: Ultegra is very good kit, Hope the frames not carbon cos they melt in the rain :whistle:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've had one a couple of years - but with the SRAM rival groupset.
I posted a review shortly after I got it..... http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/planet-x-rt-57-rival.115175/

The RT-57 is a cracking bike. Handles fantastically and easily the match of anything at anywhere near the same price.
However there are a couple of things to be aware of:

The frame geometry is fairly racy. It promotes a longer, stretched out riding position which may (or may not) be what you want.
There's bugger-all clearance on the frame. You can run 23mm tyres, but nothing bigger, and dont even think about mudguards ---- not going to happen.
The front end (and indeed the whole frame) is incredibly stiff. It's not a boneshaker by any standards, but the standard Planet-X Strava bars (again very stiff) transmit every road lump straight through to your arms. Personally the bike suits me very well and I've done the coast to coast in a day twice and numerous other 100+ mile ride with no i'll effects. The RT58 is a similar bike, but with a more relaxed geometry if the above bothers you......

Planet X were a pleasure to deal with, and I've since used them multiple times with no issues.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
And now on a serious note.

I agree with Kestevan regards Planet X value, although I haven't ever had one of their bikes, I have never read or heard bad things about their customer service or products, whereas with Ribble, I have.

I wouldn't mind owning one myself but a) can't afford to/spent up on other stuff & b) well, same as a) really.

OP
OP
C

crackers

Regular
I've had one a couple of years - but with the SRAM rival groupset.
I posted a review shortly after I got it..... http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/planet-x-rt-57-rival.115175/

The RT-57 is a cracking bike. Handles fantastically and easily the match of anything at anywhere near the same price.
However there are a couple of things to be aware of:

The frame geometry is fairly racy. It promotes a longer, stretched out riding position which may (or may not) be what you want.
There's bugger-all clearance on the frame. You can run 23mm tyres, but nothing bigger, and dont even think about mudguards ---- not going to happen.
The front end (and indeed the whole frame) is incredibly stiff. It's not a boneshaker by any standards, but the standard Planet-X Strava bars (again very stiff) transmit every road lump straight through to your arms. Personally the bike suits me very well and I've done the coast to coast in a day twice and numerous other 100+ mile ride with no i'll effects. The RT58 is a similar bike, but with a more relaxed geometry if the above bothers you......

Planet X were a pleasure to deal with, and I've since used them multiple times with no issues.
thanks for your reply, read your review all seems v
very positive, i was aware of the stiffness of the frame as ive read other reviews, but its always best hear it from someone who owns one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom