Bike and bike lock choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kevotrfc

Hi all! Novice here.
I'm looking to order a bike ASAP through the cycle to work scheme. It'll be for a mixture of gravel coatal tracks and roads.
I had ordered a Cannondale quick 1 Hybrid 2020 but after a couple of weeks Evans let me down and couldn't fulfil my order. Since then I've been looking at Boardman bikes also.
I have been doing research and speaking to a couple of experienced riders but I'm undecided.
The Cannodale has Shimano 105 gears which I think are the next grade up from the Boardman ADV 8.9's Shimano Tiagra. Alsoo the Cannondale has Shimano hydralic disc brakes which could be better than the ADV's Shimano disc brakes but not quite sure?
But is the chain type better for coastal rides on the ADV?
I think I'd like both bikes to be honest. Just want to have some informed opinions.
All advice welcomed. Thanks in advance :-)

BigMeatball

Have you tried either of them or are you buying blind?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Two very different types of bike, would depend if you prefer straight or drop bars, pros and cons for both. As a novice you might not have tried both and might not know which suits you best until you've had quite a few miles with each. Have you thrown a leg over the the bikes?
Don't really understand your question about chain type but equipment level would be similar between the two and differences between Tiagra and 105 would be minimal. Boardman are a good brand now owned by Halfords and have a good rep on here.
I should get down to the shop and go with your heart if not sure. There are no bad choices at this price point.
Good luck and welcome to the forum

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I agree with Cycleops, no real bad choices at this level and they're two really different bikes. I'd also recommend having a ride on a couple if you can, and do try to decide whether flat bar or drops are for you. I think that's far more critical than groupset.

And the difference between Tiagra and 105? Aside from a few grammes, it's price, pretty much, they both work lovely. I've got Tiagra on my road bike, wife has 105 on hers, and I can't tell the difference in shifting. Oh and I have Sora on my touring bike and that works lovely too.

Someone on YouTube recently said something that rang true... no-one ever got dropped because they were on Sora and the other guy was on Dura Ace.

Do also consider a 2019 model, usually it's the same bike with a different colour but with 300 pounds off. That might buy you more bike, or goodies to go on it, pedals, lights, whatever you need.

C R

Guru
Do also consider a 2019 model, usually it's the same bike with a different colour but with 300 pounds off. That might buy you more bike, or goodies to go on it, pedals, lights, whatever you need.
This is something to bear in mind, if you are going to commute with this bike you will probably want mudguards and a rack and possibly a pannier bag, as well as a decent set of lights. You need to consider the cost of those to add on top of the bike price, unless you already have them.

OP
OP
K

kevotrfc

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. I've only ever riden flat bar bikes, years ago, never drop bar. Also yes I've only size checked the Cannondale. Never riden either. I shall see if Halfords do test rides and test the Boardman.
When you say they're very different bikes Cycleops, can you be a bit more specific?
I did look at the ADV 8.8 which was cheaper (perhaps last years model or the bike below I'm not too sure as it Boardman dont seem to say the year unlike others?) And the spec was very similar. Sora groupset was the only real difference.

boydj

Legendary Member
They're both good bikes, so it's all about the type of riding you'll be doing and how you see your cycling developing. For longer runs the Boardman will probably be a bit more efficient and comfortable, but there's little in it and all the more reason for trying out both bikes, preferably for more than just a trip round the block.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. I've only ever riden flat bar bikes, years ago, never drop bar. Also yes I've only size checked the Cannondale. Never riden either. I shall see if Halfords do test rides and test the Boardman.
When you say they're very different bikes Cycleops, can you be a bit more specific?
I did look at the ADV 8.8 which was cheaper (perhaps last years model or the bike below I'm not too sure as it Boardman dont seem to say the year unlike others?) And the spec was very similar. Sora groupset was the only real difference.
Halfords don't do testrides but cycle Republic do (before the stores close)

C R

Guru
Halfords don't do testrides but cycle Republic do (before the stores close)
If they happen to have the bike you want to try on display, and you catch one of the staff in a good mood they may let you ride it around the display area, maybe even the car park if they're feeling helpful.

vickster

Legendary Member
If they happen to have the bike you want to try on display, and you catch one of the staff in a good mood they may let you ride it around the display area, maybe even the car park if they're feeling helpful.
Twickenham have certainly just said to take for as long as want in past

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Regarding the differences Cannondale might say the Quick is a commuting/fitness/city bike, the ADV is an adventure type bike, in other words a bike you can take off road and touring but would be equally at home on city streets. Don't get hung up on types as any bike can be used for any purpose, just that some are optimised for a particular role which is more to with marketing than anything else.
The Quick will feel a bit more sprightly on the road with its narrower faster tyres but that's about the only difference you'll notice apart from the bars. I prefer drops as it gives more hand positions but you can get used to either. As said give them both a go and see which one feels right.

Edit: This might be an interesting read:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/adventure-road-bikes/boardman-adv

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
Hi all! Novice here.
I'm looking to order a bike ASAP through the cycle to work scheme. It'll be for a mixture of gravel coatal tracks and roads.
I had ordered a Cannondale quick 1 Hybrid 2020 but after a couple of weeks Evans let me down and couldn't fulfil my order. Since then I've been looking at Boardman bikes also.
I have been doing research and speaking to a couple of experienced riders but I'm undecided.
The Cannodale has Shimano 105 gears which I think are the next grade up from the Boardman ADV 8.9's Shimano Tiagra. Alsoo the Cannondale has Shimano hydralic disc brakes which could be better than the ADV's Shimano disc brakes but not quite sure?
But is the chain type better for coastal rides on the ADV?
I think I'd like both bikes to be honest. Just want to have some informed opinions.
All advice welcomed. Thanks in advance :-)

What are coatal tracks?

DRM

Guru
For what it's worth the latest version of Tiagra 4700 series is very smooth, noticeably so over the earlier 4600 series, which isn't rubbish by any stretch of the imagination, they are both ten speed, where as 105 will be 11 speed, the Boardman has hydraulic disc brakes & comes with a Fizik Antares saddle which is a quality item, the tyres roll really well even though they are a gravel tyre, but aren't overly aggressive so don't expect excellent grip in the mud, the gearing on the Boardman is a little lower, so should be easier on your legs.
If you join British Cycling you can get 10% off at Cycle Republic/Halfords, but I would say go try both out before buying.

Top Bottom