Bike around £300 mark (got list to choose from)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ben Eagle

Hey,

So I've been speaking to people on an online bicycling chat and I gave them this list I made on google drive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l0MYM8JxwBl2qjQBp-ggw3HBbBms43SDDZLR9TnngIg/edit?usp=sharing

I was told to not go for any of them and was pointed in the direction of a Giant Escape 3 2014 or Jamis trail X1 2014 with adjustable fork tension so the fork suspension wouldn't give and put some different tyres on it.

I'm just wanting to see what people's thoughts on it are. Should I go for the Giant, Jamis or one on the list or if you've got an idea I'd love to hear it

AndyRM

XOXO
What sort of riding are you going to be doing?

If it's all on road, you don't need suspension of any kind so go for the Giant or either the Raleigh or Norco on your list. If you're going on light trails the Jamis looks a good bet as do the Dawes from your list.

Brands such as Mongoose, Viking, Shogun and Python are bargain basement sort of affairs. Best avoided. That said, the Viking with disc brakes on your list could be worth a look as it's a good deal.

Reading that back, it's not terribly helpful. Sorry! A bit more info on where you're looking to ride would help provide some more informed thoughts.

OP
OP
B

Ben Eagle

I'll be mainly using it to commute to and from work mainly and leisure stuff. But roads by me aren't the best, for example, I used to go pretty fast downhill on a hardtail bike and easily go over long speedbumps easily. I'm not too sure if I could go over them as easy with a hybrid without slowing down. The giant does look nice. But if you had to choose, would you go for the giant or norco?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Bit concerned about this one:
"Viking Notting Hill 21 Speed Alloy Gents Disc - 2014 - £279.99 - Comes with free shoot"

I'm not sure I would want one that had been poo'd on.

I am a big fan of Giant bikes, I've had one for 3 years or so now, Husband has a Giant MTB and loves it. They are reliable and built to last IMO

AndyRM

XOXO
I don't have experience of Giant bikes, but they do have a very good reputation and are generally well thought of.

I had a Norco MTB a few years ago and loved it. Well built, and not many of them around in my neck of the woods.

Either would be a good buy IMO.

OP
OP
B

Ben Eagle

The ashcycle one doesn't look too bad actually. Anything you can recommend to get? I've got lights, helmet, spare inner tubes, repair kit. Would a computer be useful?

AndyRM

XOXO
Padded/bib shorts if you're planning to do longer distances. Gloves and glasses aren't necessary but provide a bit of extra comfort/protection. I usually carry a decent set of Allen keys as you can sort most things with them.

Computers are good, but you don't need to break the bank unless you want one with maps or are using it with heart/power monitors. Have a look at Cateye, decent basic kit around the £20 mark.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't ride without padded shorts and gloves, hand comfort and indispensable if you have an off

You might want to ask them to fit bar ends for more hand positions

Track pump for home

Neil305

I just got a 2013 Dawes Discovery 301. It was £260 from B.D. Price. Not sure what size you want, and it looks like I may have got one of their last 20" ones, as they're only showing 18" and 22". They do have the 20" Sport 3 for the same price if you want one with front suspension.

Cold Snail

Über Member
I've got a two year old Giant Escape 3 (but have only recently started to use it) and apart from one broken spoke due to snagging the wheel with my wife's Escape in the van, it's been up every hill it's faced due to the low gearing.

Top Bottom