Bike Bath first real 80 mile sportive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
As a keen runner I am well aware that the advancing years and the constant pounding on pavements/roads can be a hindrance as we get older. It has always been my intention to start entering some good long distance cycling events and last year I got a taste of the fun when I cycled 100k from Gloucester to Yate to Bristol with some work colleagues in a in house organised charity event. The weather was atrocious and we were soaked through....but I loved it especially stopping at some great cafe's to participate in some super sweet luxuries and great coffee^_^ With this in mind and the recent purchase of my luxury bike (equilibrium stainless steel to compliment my kinesis racelight tk2) I have just entered the bikebath 80 mile sportive/audax on July 5th....and so if anyone would care to offer observation and advice I would be keen to hear..At present I commute by bike 5 days per week with an average of 15-23 miles per day and also participate in running events (training on a Sunday and at laest one other run in the mid week) When I say running events I refer to 10k's and half marathons and can complete a half marathon in around 1 hour 45 mins...slower as I get older. When I trained for the 100k I did a few long Sunday runs of 45miles+ and I will expect to do the same for the Bike Bath ride...prob a couple of 50-60 mile rides. I do not work at a desk bound job and so am active throughout the day at work...so I feel I have a good base training to equip me for the event...do you agree...here is the website...I look forward to your comments and thoughts...
http://www.bikebath.co.uk/home

You average 80-100 miles a week? Will be easy for you. Fitness wise no issue. Yiu may find things like chaffing cause you the biggest issue if you're not used to sitting on the saddle fir a longer time. . I'd try one long ride to iron that out.

Finally, you'll need to get enough water bottles and make sure you eat but it'll have feed stations do I eouldnt worry, just use them.

BigAl68

Über Member
I hope the weather is better this year as I hated it as it poured down all day and some of the hills were hideous. I am sure in the dry it would have been nicer. You shouldn't have any problems with the distance and it's a very well organised event.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
I plan to register on the Saturday and then park early in the Charlotte Street car park which is a short distance from the start.....the idea being to be organised and enjoy the day.

BigAl68

Über Member
I plan to register on the Saturday and then park early in the Charlotte Street car park which is a short distance from the start.....the idea being to be organised and enjoy the day.

That is a good plan. It usually starts and finishes at the Rec. They have storage for your stuff and even free massages when you get back if your not swept up with the broom wagon. Food was good but all I really remember is stupid hills with rain in my eyes lol

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
That is a good plan. It usually starts and finishes at the Rec. They have storage for your stuff and even free massages when you get back if your not swept up with the broom wagon. Food was good but all I really remember is stupid hills with rain in my eyes lol
As I work every 4th sat I plan to extend the Saturday afternoon home commute and 2 take in a few hills ie the climb up 2 bath racecourse at lansdown...... That should put some quality mileage in my legs

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Audax: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/audax.html
An audax is a personal excursion, so you are responsible for buying your own food (on the route) following the instructions, repairing your bike if necessary, and recovering yourself if not.
A Sportive is an organised event with feed stations set up that are free, arrows to show you where to go, and a broom wagon/repair truck to sort out mechanical problems and pick up slow riders.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I have done a 1hr 45 half marathon (1hr 46min 11s to be accurate) and ride 13 miles a day on my commute.
Therefore in my opinion, 80 miles should be a breeze for you, although recommend some longer rides (40, 50) before hand to get you "match fit", and to sort out any discomfort, e.g. saddle, shorts.
Bath? Could be a bit hilly, so make sure that you are strong enough for the hills. Find yourself a weekend route of 30 miles or so with a number of testing hills in it, and do it a few times before the sportive.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
thanks for that Jim.....my training will almost be exactly what you recommend the few longer weekend rides I shall be doing will include some hills around bath...so I hope to be race tuned/fit

Top Bottom