Bike books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I bought two really nice books today in a charity shop for 50p each, both in absolutely as new condition. One was the Haynes Bike Book. It's OK, lots of pictures and simple to follow text. The other book is Illustrated Bicycle Maintenance for Road and Mountain Bikes. This book has just about everything a home DIY'er would need to look after and repair his bike. I have only flicked through it so far but am looking forward to reading it some more.

I have often mentioned Richard's Bicycle Book, the older paperback version, which has been my bible for many years. Now, though, with me getting more up to date bikes Richard's book just didn't cover things. These books do and will fill the gaps in my knowledge. I know we have the internet, You tube, advice here and other sources, but I have always enjoyed books and it is handy having reference material literally to hand when doing a job.

Maz

Guru
Great find, compo. Wish it were me!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Sadly I've yet to find a book to help cure my general cackhandedness at fettling and masterful ability to cock up even the simplest of repairs spectacularly!

The best online video's that I've come across are the Bicycle Tutor ones here which were once free to watch and if you wanted to download one the cost was reasonable. Now even to watch one you need to pay a subscription and join the site. Bicycle Tutor does do two DVD's though which you can buy without having to join the site. Just had look and it seems that a third DVD will be on its way soon.

re.

I have often mentioned Richard's Bicycle Book, the older paperback version, which has been my bible for many years. Now, though, with me getting more up to date bikes Richard's book just didn't cover things. These books do and will fill the gaps in my knowledge. I know we have the internet, You tube, advice here and other sources, but I have always enjoyed books and it is handy having reference material literally to hand when doing a job.

I am very sad, I have 8 editions of this book from Piccolo to Dorling Kindersley

My best find was my tour planning guides

I picked u a set of Muirhead's Blue Guides from the 1920's

It is wonderful looking at places and seeing it through the descriptions of over 80 years ago. Seeing that a hotel or pub still exists, that a Church or other building has or hasn't changed, looking at the differences in the road network. The list is endless

Top Bottom