Bike Box (Metal for outside storage)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Tonight I have mostly been building my new bike store (well, okay, brother-in-law Steve did most of the work but I held stuff and passed him screws - which is a very important role!!! :whistle:):

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

NB: It worked much better after I realised I'd passed Steve the doors the wrong way around ... Doh!! :laugh:

Mrs. Admin isn't too impressed with the height of it (hopefully it'll grow on her) and I must admit to being a little surprised at how tall it is (it didn't seem to be that tall in the videos and pictures online) - but it is one solid bit of kit that went together without a single hitch (no fiddling around trying to get the holes to line up and no missing bits 'n' bobs). A "pleasure" to put together as Steve put it.

Shelves and hook aren't fitted yet, but looking forward to having the bikes readily accessible just outside the front door. :thumbsup:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I bought one of these http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?pro_code=Acc1 18 months ago, I'm very pleased with it - so much so that I got another 12 months later. Extremely strong, fit 4 bikes plus a few bits and bobs (tools, helmets, pumps etc.) easily, well made, extremely strong, built in base, excellent hoods over the locks so really difficult to get at, useful shelves, did I say really strong?

Weirdest Beatles homage ever:
bikestorage2.jpg

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
After a family conflab we've decided to add some decoration to it - to make it look less "green and boxy" ... :laugh:

I see large floral fridge magnets/stickers heading its way ... :eek:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
You could glue some window boxes to the lid, if they weren't too heavy and the angle doesn't make the flowers and earth fall out.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
You could glue some window boxes to the lid, if they weren't too heavy and the angle doesn't make the flowers and earth fall out.

Funnily enough, my mother-in-law made that very same suggestion this morning when she popped round for a coffee. Great minds think alike (just in case she reads this ... :whistle: ).

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Funnily enough, my mother-in-law made that very same suggestion this morning when she popped round for a coffee. Great minds think alike (just in case she reads this ... :whistle: ).

Or you can get some decent looking fake flowers.

yumpy

I thought this was a shed shop, http://www.bikesheds.org.uk - its not but it shows a Trimetals shed.
Has anyone had one of those ? Seem to be a few more choices with the Asgard though.

yumpy

Thanks I'll go have a look - couldn't find any reference to it on here.

Whatever I end up getting, I've always fancied putting a motion detector into sheds with a "Step away from the bike NOW" recording and some floodlights for good measure. They'd probably nick the lights though, there's copper in the cables as well.

Shaun, I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs but if you're storing the bikes at the front of your house just be mindful of who's about and possibly watching you put them away.

I let my guard down last year resulting in two bikes going from my garage, I've become a tad paranoid over bike security since.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
I'm adding a Ford engine block to the mix - which the bikes will be locked to inside the shed (which has a strong metal floor) - and will probably get a motion alarm too.

I picked up the engine when I worked in a vehicle recycler years ago and can (just about) carry it very slowly with both hands - straddling the block and sort of wobble-walking it along - so hopefully that, combined with the 16 stone weight of the box, bikes and the other bits and bobs should keep it from going walkabout - well, not easily anyway!!!

It's also underneath our bedroom window so I should hear any tampering (it's not something you can attack gently if you want to get into it).

I realise pretty much anything is stealable if someone is committed to it but hopefully it'll be less vulnerable than our wooden shed. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom