Bike box recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
Hi all . Will be wanting to purchase a ridged bike box . Having a quick look online planetx are the cheapest at £150 then pro bike kit at £ 180. Has anyone used these or any of the lower priced bike boxes they can recommend. Thanks again

vickster

Legendary Member
Rent one If it’s a one off use?
https://www.bikebox-rental.co.uk/

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Might not be a one off use . My first trip away so if I like it which I probably will it might be better to buy one .

I have the PBK box, it has been bounced around on a few flights and the bike has always been fine. The one downside is the wheel skewers which double up as the anti crush pillars. These are a bit rubbish. I’m replacing mine with more substantial ones.

The case is not for those who wish to be discrete, trundle round the airport with in and most people will turn and look.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Do wheels with 12mm thru axle fit ok in the pbk box . Some boxes I've looked at use 5mm skewer?

Do wheels with 12mm thru axle fit ok in the pbk box . Some boxes I've looked at use 5mm skewer?

i must admit I have no idea, thru axles are a bit outside my comfort zone.Send them a mail and see what they say?

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Actually did exactly that with a local bike box hire company . This was there reply.
Hi, there are so many variables when it comes to bikes in boxes that it's impossible to give an accurate reply.

I can tell you that the wheels can be held in place using the installed zip ties, as well as or instead of the skewers. Also that lots of people use the QR system on bolt thru with a bit of imagination, but beyond that I can’t comment I’m afraid.

Not a definite answer but looks like it will work out someway .and at £5 rental per day it's a cheap option.

Top Bottom