Bike box size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xilios

Veteran
Hi, my wife and I are flying to Italy on Ryanair. Now we got the weight for the bikes right 20kg each, but what has me worried is the size of the boxes they come out at 180cm long 100cm high and 20cm deep.
Are we going to have problems at the airport?
Do we need to cut the bike box sizes down?
Any help would be appreciated.
cheers George and Monique

No experience of Ryanair but FWIW I've used an Alan bike box on Jet2 without issue, and they are very bulky.

Jet2's weight limit is 22kg and TBH it did have to go through the oversize check in part, but that was it.

Probably best to check the Ryanair website or give them a call to be 100%

Went away to Majorca early this year ....
bike box was similar size to yours ... They just go of the weight of the box/contents
Flew with monarch .... my case was over the limit in kg no one said anything !
They did nt allow more than two compressed air cartridges !

Last edited:
OP
OP
xilios

xilios

Veteran
We are just concerned about the size of the boxes the weight we got it's max. 20kg per box.
According to ryanair site they say; combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth).
Now I'm thinking if they go the way of cubic cms for instance were in.
(81 cms) x (119 cms) x (119 cms) = 1 147 041 cubic cm
(180 cms) x (100 cms) x (20 cms) = 360 000 cubic cm
Am I wrong of thinking this way?

We are just concerned about the size of the boxes the weight we got it's max. 20kg per box.
According to ryanair site they say; combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth).
Now I'm thinking if they go the way of cubic cms for instance were in.
(81 cms) x (119 cms) x (119 cms) = 1 147 041 cubic cm
(180 cms) x (100 cms) x (20 cms) = 360 000 cubic cm
Am I wrong of thinking this way?
Not with ryan Air ..... did nt they try to charge there customers to use the toilets on board
Would look into it a bit closer ... Phone calls to the good people at ryan air

This is what Ryan air says. If you are still worried, take a print out of the webpage.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions/regulations-checkedbaggage/

Here is the specific sections relevant to your question.

Sporting or musical equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bikes* (bikes have a weight limit of 30 kilos)

For health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth). This weight limit does not apply to mobility equipment.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I travel with my bike on Ryanair.

I am pretty sure the weight limit for a bike is 30kg and not 20kg.

I don't travel with a box but a material bag, I have never had a problem with regards damage. The only problem I have had was travelling to Mallorca last year. I took my Koga World Traveller and it wouldn't go through the x ray machine because of the handlebars. I had to take the bars off and fasten them to the bike. I doubt if you will have that problem as the Koga is a very tall bike.

Getting in touch with Ryanair is not easy and so I would print off what it says on their site and take it with you. I have never had problems and find the staff very helpful.

Steve

OP
OP
xilios

xilios

Veteran
I travel with my bike on Ryanair.

I am pretty sure the weight limit for a bike is 30kg and not 20kg.

I don't travel with a box but a material bag, I have never had a problem with regards damage. The only problem I have had was travelling to Mallorca last year. I took my Koga World Traveller and it wouldn't go through the x ray machine because of the handlebars. I had to take the bars off and fasten them to the bike. I doubt if you will have that problem as the Koga is a very tall bike.

Getting in touch with Ryanair is not easy and so I would print off what it says on their site and take it with you. I have never had problems and find the staff very helpful.

Steve

Hi Steve,
Our/my only worry is the size of the box 180cm x 100cm x 20cm. The weight is spot on. We got 15kgs each for our panniers as checked in baggage + the 10kgs for carry on luggage.
I'm just concerned about the size of the boxes, because they say; For health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth). This weight limit does not apply to mobility equipment.
I don't think our bikes will make the 119cm length their talking about even with removing the wheels and racks which by the way would be a real bitch to remove at the airport.
George

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
George,

My Koga is the biggest bike I have ridden. Because I made my own bag I don't remove the wheels or the racks. My only problem was the height because the step is so long. I don't know what bikes you have but the length of the bike has never been a problem.

I always fly with Ryanair and you will find they are helpful.

Where are you going to?

image_zpsea47ab67.jpg

Steve

OP
OP
xilios

xilios

Veteran
Hey thanks Steve, you've made me relax a bit. I was really worried I would have to take out my knife, some tools, a roll of tape and start removing wheels, mudguards, racks and cut the bike box smaller.
We're flying from Charleroi, Belgium to Perugia, Italy and cycling home. Something like Perugia, Siena, Florance, Bolognia, Verona, through Austria to Munich, and finally home.
Can't wait, thanks again,
George & Monique :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Lovely George.

If I may offer a suggestion. If you have never been to the opera at the arena in Verona, you should go. We are not opera buffs but went anyway. It was an excellent night. We bought our tickets in the afternoon, there is a little office just off Piazza Bra, a great place to sit and eat. In the evening we bought a couple of blow up cushions outside the area a and we had our picnic basket with us. We sat up on the original steps right at the top of the arena and watched Tourendot by Puccini. There is a party atmosphere on the steps. It was a memorable night, even for non classical people.

Steve

OP
OP
xilios

xilios

Veteran
Lovely George.

If I may offer a suggestion. If you have never been to the opera at the arena in Verona, you should go. We are not opera buffs but went anyway. It was an excellent night. We bought our tickets in the afternoon, there is a little office just off Piazza Bra, a great place to sit and eat. In the evening we bought a couple of blow up cushions outside the area a and we had our picnic basket with us. We sat up on the original steps right at the top of the arena and watched Tourendot by Puccini. There is a party atmosphere on the steps. It was a memorable night, even for non classical people.

Steve

Thanks for the reminder Steve, our daughter did the same a few years back, we'll be checking that out :-)

George

OP
OP
xilios

xilios

Veteran
Update:

Just got back from our trip and have to say that flying with Ryanair could not go any smoother.
Just like Steve said, the staff were very helpful with the bike boxes (180cm long X 100cm high X 25cm wide each). One of our duffle bags (with the panniers) was 1kg over but the second was 1kg under so no problem there either.
We did notice one French speaking couple with an over sized bag (with sports equipment) trying to board and had to pay the extra charge.
Like others have stated Ryanair have rules and if you follow them there's no problem.

We will be flying with them again.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Nice to see you had a trouble free trip. I have just found your cycling blog George, an excellent Sunday morning read.

I fly with Ryanair half a dozen times a year and it is exactly as you say. If you know their rules and follow them to the letter , they are cheap and easy to fly with.

Having overweight or oversize luggage is the easiest way to make your flight expensive, so it is best to check, check and triple check before leaving for the airport.

I once saw a guy in Milan tring to get onto a Ryanair flight with a snorker cue in a box. One of those that fold down into 2 parts. You can imagine the size. Very thin and not too long and would easily fit into an overhead box. But it was too long for the Ryanair measuring cage and so they wouldnt allow it on. The guy was in a right state. We were all boarding and he was stück there with a snooker cue. I dont think he got the flight.

There is no leeway with Ryanair so get it right before you leave home.

Steve

Last edited:
Top Bottom