Bike boxes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Surlydave

Über Member
Any of you seasoned Lejogers recommend a suitable bike box to get bike to the start and home again.
Many thanks.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How would that work? :wacko:

(You catch the train to Penzance with your bike in the box, you dump the box somewhere and ride to LE then up to JoG, but the box is still in Cornwall!)

robgul

Legendary Member
It's called a cardboard box from the bike shop - you get one locally and leave it at the start - you source one at the finish and take that home (admittedly that may be an issue at JOG but that's the theory - Wick has a bike shop)

The alternative possibility is a bike bag (like a Carradice - they seem to have no s/h value ... I have one that I paid a tenner for) - roll it up and post of from start to finish.

ROb

You could do something different, cycle the other diagonal, Durness (Cape Wrath) to Dover. no problem getting a Bike up to Durness as a Bikebus service runs from Inverness to Durness from mid May to end of September. Its just as challenging route as JOGLE and shares quite a bit of that route..

OP
OP
Surlydave

Surlydave

Über Member
You could do something different, cycle the other diagonal, Durness (Cape Wrath) to Dover. no problem getting a Bike up to Durness as a Bikebus service runs from Inverness to Durness from mid May to end of September. Its just as challenging route as JOGLE and shares quite a bit of that route..
I have a friend who has just done that route, really enjoyed it. Something to bare in mind for the future. Hopefully all sorted for Lejog next year.

Big T

Guru
Most people travel with their bike (on the train). So you wouldn't need a box. Are you thinking of couriering your bike to the start and finish?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Afternoon ferry to the Orkneys (£16/17 from either JoG or Gils Bay); ferry to Aberdeen (£24, @ 2300) gets in 0700 (ie morning after finishing). Lots of bike shops in Aberdeen who'll let you have a cardboard bike box. Send them an Amazon package of 5m of pipe insulation, 5m of 60cm bubblewrap and some packing tape. Post bike back and fly south though i was lucky Virgin to Heathrow allowed a sports equipment bag extra free (ticket = £56 six weeks ahead). Or forego boxing up and take bike on train (without Lejog competition cf Wick/Thurso and even Inverness).

Top Bottom